Subject: [IPsec] I-D Action:draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2bis-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 15:00:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IP Security Maintenance and Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Internet Key Exchange Protocol: IKEv2
	Author(s)       : C. Kaufman, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2bis-04.txt
	Pages           : 141
	Date            : 2009-07-08

This document describes version 2 of the Internet Key Exchange (IKE)
protocol.  IKE is a component of IPsec used for performing mutual
authentication and establishing and maintaining security associations
(SAs).  It replaces and updates RFC 4306, and includes all of the
clarifications from RFC 4718.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2bis-04.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 17:32:22 +0900

ikev2bis draft-04 section 1.5 adds about INVALID_MAJOR_VERSION:

   There are two cases when such a one-way notification is sent:
   INVALID_IKE_SPI and INVALID_SPI.  These notifications are sent
   outside of an IKE SA.  Note that such notifications are explicitly
   not Informational exchanges; these are one-way messages that must not
   be responded to.  (INVALID_MAJOR_VERSION is also a one-way message
   which is sent outside of an IKE SA, although it is sent as a response
   to the incoming IKE SA creation.)

I feel it confusing.  Probably "such a one-way notification" should be
"a one-way notification".  I don't understand why
INVALID_MAJOR_VERSION case need to be separated from INVALID_IKE_SPI
and INVALID_SPI.

The word "notification message" seems somewhat ambiguous and
confusing.  In section 3.10, it refers to a Notification payload
rather than an entire message.  In some other places I suppose it
means an INFORMATIONAL exchange request message.

Come to think of it, I note there are two expressions in the draft:
"Notify payload" and "Notification payload".  Also in most places
"INFORMATIONAL exchange" whereas there are some "Informational
exchange" and "informational exchange".

					FUKUMOTO Atsushi
					[email-masked]