Subject: [IPsec] I-D Action:draft-ietf-ipsecme-traffic-visibility-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 16:45:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IP Security Maintenance and Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Wrapped ESP for Traffic Visibility
	Author(s)       : K. Grewal, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-ipsecme-traffic-visibility-07.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2009-08-10

This document describes the Wrapped Encapsulating Security 
Payload (WESP) protocol, which builds on top of Encapsulating 
Security Payload (ESP) [RFC4303] and is designed to allow 
intermediate devices to ascertain if ESP-NULL [RFC2410] is being 
employed and hence inspect the IPsec packets for network 
monitoring and access control functions.  Currently in the IPsec 
standard, there is no way to differentiate between ESP 
encryption and ESP NULL encryption by simply examining a packet. 
This poses certain challenges to the intermediate devices that 
need to deep inspect the packet before making a decision on what 
should be done with that packet (Inspect and/or Allow/Drop). The 
mechanism described in this document can be used to easily 
disambiguate ESP-NULL from ESP encrypted packets, without 
compromising on the security provided by ESP.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipsecme-traffic-visibility-07.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Jack Kohn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 03:47:38 +0530

I believe this draft had cleared the WG LC long time back. What else are the
chairs/authors waiting for?

Jack

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 5:15 AM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> IPsec mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipsec
>
>

---

From: Yaron Sheffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 08:25:42 +0300

Hi Jack,

I believe it is essential that both this draft and the ESP-null Heuristics
draft contain language that clarifies how they relate to one another. I
posted some text to the list on Aug. 11, and I am still awaiting approval
from the Heuristics group of authors. When we have this point resolved, the
draft is ready to move forward.

Thanks,

            Yaron

  _____  

From: Jack Kohn [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Saturday, August 22, 2009 1:18
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Yaron Sheffer; Grewal, Ken; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; Bhatia, Manav (Manav)
Subject: Re: [IPsec] I-D Action:draft-ietf-ipsecme-traffic-visibility-07.txt

Jack

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the IP Security Maintenance and Extensions
Working Group of the IETF.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipsecme-traffic-visibility-07
.txt