Subject: [IPsec] #117: Hash and URL interop

From: Yaron Sheffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 01:18:10 +0200

To improve interoperability, allow only the "http" URL method. The current text (end of sec. 3.6) implies that any method is allowed, although HTTP MUST be supported.

---

From: Tero Kivinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 15:55:21 +0200

Yaron Sheffer writes:
> To improve interoperability, allow only the "http" URL method. The
> current text (end of sec. 3.6) implies that any method is allowed,
> although HTTP MUST be supported. 

If that means adding MUST NOT for other URL methods, I do not think we
want to do it. We alrady have one mandatory to implement URL method
(http) and that should be enough to provide interoperability. If
someone wants to create implementation which uses some other format in
addition to http method for their own use, I do not see any reason why
they should be forbidded to do so. 

Note, that HASH and URL formats are not limited to
exactly one URL format for each hash. Implementation would are allowed
to send multiple cert payloads, each having same HASH but different
URLs having different methods. If implementation does not support
certain URL method it just ignores the cert payload, and as multiple
methods point to same certificate each of them have same hash, thus it
does not matter which one of them the implementation uses to fetch the
certificate.
-- 
[email-masked]