Subject: [IPsec] IPsec with QKD

From: Rodney Van Meter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 13:16:44 +0900

Shota Nagayama and I have been experimenting with using keys generated  
by quantum key distribution (QKD) devices to key IPsec tunnels.  (The  
devices we used were borrowed from NEC, but we don't claim to  
represent them.)

We have written an I-D on the protocol modifications necessary, and  
are here in Hiroshima to discuss it.
https://datatracker.ietf.org/drafts/draft-nagayama-ipsecme-ipsec-with-qkd/

For those who are interested, we have created a mailing list, which  
you can join:
https://aqua.sfc.wide.ad.jp/mailman/listinfo/ipsecwithqkd

Products for QKD already exist, and various experiments are underway,  
including a large one called SECOQC in Europe; the Japanese and U.S.  
governments also have sunk a lot of money into QKD.  The European  
effort, in particular, is committed to standardizing many parts of QKD  
through the ITU.

Although the existing products do not yet support IKE/IPsec (to the  
best of my knowledge, though things change), at least two  
implementations already exist, ours and BBN's (as described in Chip  
Elliott's SIGCOMM 2003 paper), as well as a recent paper by Sheila  
Frankel and collaborators at NIST.  Now seems to be the time to create  
at least an experimental RFC on the topic, to minimize confusion and  
incompatibility; IETF, rather than ITU, would definitely be the place  
to standardize the changes to IKE.  Although our protocol is  
unfortunately incompatible with BBN's, Chip has encouraged us to  
pursue an RFC.

At a protocol level, the changes are actually minimal; essentially,  
the addition of two types of Payload Headers.  There may still be some  
corners in the contents of messages and assumptions required to  
guarantee security; we look forward to hashing some of those out in  
person.

Please, track us down here in Hiroshima; Shota and I will both be here  
until after the IPSECME meeting on Thursday.

		--Rod

Rodney Van Meter
assistant professor, Faculty of Environment and Information Studies,  
Keio University, Japan
[email-masked]
http://web.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~rdv/
http://www.sfc.wide.ad.jp/IRL/