Subject: [IPsec] EAP Identity request in IKEv2

From: "Srinivasu S R S Dhulipala (srinid)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 15:11:35 +0530

Hi,

I see that RFC4306 has the following lines at the end of Sec3.16:

   Note that since IKE passes an indication of initiator identity in

   message 3 of the protocol, the responder SHOULD NOT send EAP Identity

   requests.  The initiator SHOULD, however, respond to such requests if

   it receives them.

I see that from draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2bis-01, "SHOUD" and "SHOULD NOT"
were demoted to

"should" and "should not", the text now looks as below:

   {{ Demoted the SHOULD NOT and SHOULD }} Note that since IKE passes an
   indication of initiator identity in message 3 of the protocol, the
   responder should not send EAP Identity requests.  The initiator may,
   however, respond to such requests if it receives them.

Also, "The initiator SHOULD" is now "The initiator may".

I would like to understand why these changes were done. Why do we need
to do an EAP-ID

request as IDi should carry an indication of the client's identity?

Thanks,

Srinivas

---

From: "Srinivasu S R S Dhulipala (srinid)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 18:57:50 +0530

Resending the query again, as I did not see any response to this query.

It looks like additional EAP ID request to the client is not needed, so
I think we should move

the "should" to "SHOULD" again. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Srinivas

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Srinivasu S R S Dhulipala (srinid)
Sent: Monday, November 09, 2009 3:12 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [IPsec] EAP Identity request in IKEv2

Hi,

   it receives them.

Thanks,

Srinivas