Subject: Re: [IPsec] Issue #150: What happens if the peer receives TEMPORARY_FAILURE and does not understand it

From: Keith Welter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 17:30:18 -0800

Tero Kivinen and David Wierbowski had some discussions on and off the list
that resulted in the new text in 2.8.2 that mentions sending 
TEMPOARY_FAILURE
and I acted as the scribe.  I have been a proponent of avoiding sending 
TEMPORARY_FAILURE to a peer that does not understand it by incrementing 
the
minor version number and only sending it to IKEv2.1 peers.  Incrementing
the minor version number got shot down, primarily by Tero.  Therefore, 
perhaps Tero could suggest the additional sentence for section 2.8.2 
that describes what will happen if a peer that does not understand
TEMPORARY_FAILURE receives it.

> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 13:03:44 -0800
> From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
> Subject: [IPsec] Issue #150: What happens if the peer receives
>    TEMPORARY_FAILURE and does not understand it
> To: IPsecme WG <[email-masked]>
> Message-ID: <p0624080fc77d20105f39@[10.20.30.158]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> 
> 2.8.2: we should add a sentence on what happens if the peer receives 
> TEMPORARY_FAILURE and does not understand it (because it's new to this 
spec).