Subject: [IPsec] Issue #172: Config payload text in Section 4

From: David Wierbowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 15:49:02 -0500

Section 4 of IKEv2bis states:

    A minimal IPv4 responder implementation will ignore the contents of
    the CP payload except to determine that it includes an
    INTERNAL_IP4_ADDRESS attribute and will respond with the address and
    other related attributes regardless of whether the initiator
    requested them.

    A minimal IPv4 initiator will generate a CP payload containing only
    an INTERNAL_IP4_ADDRESS attribute and will parse the response
    ignoring attributes it does not know how to use.

 The terms "minimal IPv4 responder implementation" and "minimal IPv4
 initiator" are confusing and misleading.  This text is a  restatement of
 the previous paragraph.

 This text should be removed or reworded to describe IPv6 implementation
 behavior to the same extent. It should also be reworded to clarify what
 is meant by "minimal implementation." Since responding to a config payload
 is optional, a "minimal implementation" in this context must refer to an
 implementation that minimally supports responding to a config payload.

 The recommendation is to remove this paragraph.  It adds no new
 information and adds no clarify to the text in the previous paragraph.

Dave Wierbowski

z/OS Comm Server Developer

 Phone:
    Tie line:   620-4055
    External:  607-429-4055