Subject: [IPsec] ikev2bis issue #185: What do to if you don't ignore INITIAL_CONTACT

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 16:59:40 -0700

s2.4, para 2, says "The INITIAL_CONTACT notification, if sent, MUST be in the first IKE_AUTH request or response, not as a separate exchange afterwards; receiving parties MAY ignore it in other messages."

What should receiving parties do if they *do* receive it and *don't* ignore it? Since it 'MUST be sent in the first IKE_AUTH' receiving at any other time is a protocol error and should cause some response (like dropping the IKE_SA perhaps).

---

From: Yaron Sheffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 12:26:46 +0300

Presumably, such implementations would do the same as they normally do 
for INITIAL_CONTACT:

    The INITIAL_CONTACT notification asserts that this IKE SA is the only
    IKE SA currently active between the authenticated identities.  It MAY
    be sent when an IKE SA is established after a crash, and the
    recipient MAY use this information to delete any other IKE SAs it has
    to the same authenticated identity without waiting for a timeout.

The original RFC did not specify that it MUST be sent in a specific 
message, and therefore we'd better leave it somewhat vague instead of 
forcing the protocol to fail otherwise. In particular because the normal 
recipient behavior is a MAY.

Thanks,
	Yaron

On 31.3.2010 2:59, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> IPsec mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipsec