Subject: [IPsec] ikev2bis issue #183: Replace "X.509" with "PKIX" throughout?

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 16:59:30 -0700

We use "X.509" when we probably mean "PKIX". That is, we only care about the PKIX profile of X.509, not just the base X.509 spec. However, X.509 appears in some of the protocol element names. Can we change it throughout to PKIX, or are we stuck with the old name?

---

From: Yaron Sheffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 12:17:41 +0300

Quoting from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X.509):

The X.500 system has never been fully implemented, and the IETF's 
Public-Key Infrastructure (X.509), or PKIX, working group has adapted 
the standard to the more flexible organization of the Internet. In fact, 
the term X.509 certificate usually refers to the IETF's PKIX Certificate 
and CRL Profile of the X.509 v3 certificate standard, as specified in 
RFC 5280, commonly referred to as PKIX for Public Key Infrastructure 
(X.509).

I suggest to retain the existing X.509 terminology which is more common, 
adding a clarification somewhere that we really refer to the PKIX profile.

Thanks,
	Yaron

On 31.3.2010 2:59, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> IPsec mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipsec

---

From: Sean Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 14:25:11 -0400

Sec 3.5 is where the references to [X.501] and [X.509] are.  You could 
just replace them with [PKIX], delete the two informative references, 
and be done.

spt

Yaron Sheffer wrote:
>> We use "X.509" when we probably mean "PKIX". That is, we only care 
>> about the PKIX profile of X.509, not just the base X.509 spec. 
>> However, X.509 appears in some of the protocol element names. Can we 
>> change it throughout to PKIX, or are we stuck with the old name?
>>