Subject: [IPsec] I-D Action:draft-ietf-ipsecme-ipsecha-protocol-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 20:15:05 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IP Security Maintenance and Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Protocol Support for High Availability IKEv2/IPsec
	Author(s)       : R. Jenwar, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-ipsecme-ipsecha-protocol-01.txt
	Pages           : 19
	Date            : 2010-10-10

IKEv2 and IPsec protocols are widely used for deploying VPN.  In
order to make such VPN highly available, more scalable and failure-
prone, these VPNs are implemented as IKEv2/IPsec Highly Available
(HA) cluster.  But there are many issues in IKEv2/IPsec HA cluster.
The draft "IPsec Cluster Problem Statement" enumerates all the issues
encountered in IKEv2/IPsec HA cluster environment.

This document proposes an extension to IKEv2 protocol to solve main
issues of "IPsec Cluster Problem Statement" in Hot Standby cluster
and gives implementation advice for other issues.  The main issues to
be solved are:
o  IKEv2 Message Id synchronization : This is done by syncing up

expected send and receive message Id values with the peer and

updating the values at the newly active cluster member after the

failover.
o  IPsec Replay Counter synchronization : This is done by syncing up

bumped up outgoing SA replay counters values with peer and

updating the values at the newly active cluster member after the

failover.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipsecme-ipsecha-protocol-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.