Subject: [IPsec] Protocol Action: 'Cryptographic Algorithm Implementation Requirements and Usage Guidance for Encapsulating Security Payload (ESP) and Authentication Header (AH)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-ipsecme-esp-ah-reqts-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 14:12:18 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Cryptographic Algorithm Implementation Requirements and Usage Guidance
   for Encapsulating Security Payload (ESP) and Authentication Header
   (AH)'
  (draft-ietf-ipsecme-esp-ah-reqts-10.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IP Security Maintenance and
Extensions Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Kathleen Moriarty and Stephen Farrell.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ipsecme-esp-ah-reqts/

Technical Summary

  This document replaces RFC 4835 in specifying requirement levels for various cryptographic
  algorithms in the ESP and AH protocols. In the 7 years since that older RFC was published,
  the security of some algorithms diminished, while other, more secure algorithms were published
  and widely implemented.

  This information is essential for interoperable implementation of the protocols, and so the
  document is intended to be a Proposed Standard.

Working Group Summary

   There was lively WG discussion around the specific algorithms and requirement levels,
   but no major objections. There was wide consensus that the document should be published.

Document Quality

   Are there existing implementations of the protocol?  Yes, numerous.  This draft sets new
   new requirements for ESP and AH, motivating vendors to implement against the new
   recommendations.

Personnel

Yaron Sheffer (IPsecME WG co-chair) is the document shepherd and Kathleen Moriarty is the responsible AD.