Subject: [IPsec] Charter review

From: Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 17:05:34 -0400

Hi,

The chairs provided text for an updated charter in line with the newly
adopted working group items.  The recharter text has been posted and
I'd like to give the WG a little time to comment prior to adding this
to a telechat for review.

Here is a link:

http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-ipsecme/

Thanks.

-- 

Best regards,
Kathleen

---

From: Paul Wouters <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 17:13:26 -0400 (EDT)

> http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-ipsecme/

 	There is interest in adapting the IKE protocol for opportunistic use cases, by
 	allowing one or both endpoints of the exchange to remain unauthenticated. The
 	group will extend the protocol to support these use cases. The solution should
 	be in line with current best practices, including channel binding and possible
 	formal protocol security proofs.

I don't think there was agreement on channel binding? It's a bit of an
old wound, since some believe BTNS failed because of channel binding
requirements (requiring kernel code changes)

Paul

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 15:53:40 -0700

> requirements (requiring kernel code changes)

There was not agreement that the eventual solution needs channel binding, but there was interest in us trying. If we fail at getting channel binding and/or formal security proofs, that's OK, but it's worth the effort.

--Paul Hoffman