Subject: [IPsec] Protocol Action: 'ChaCha20, Poly1305 and their use in IKE & IPsec' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-ipsecme-chacha20-poly1305-12.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 12:27:09 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'ChaCha20, Poly1305 and their use in IKE & IPsec'
  (draft-ietf-ipsecme-chacha20-poly1305-12.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IP Security Maintenance and
Extensions Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Stephen Farrell and Kathleen Moriarty.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ipsecme-chacha20-poly1305/

Technical Summary

   This document describes the use of the ChaCha20 stream cipher along 
   with the Poly1305 authenticator, combined into an AEAD algorithm
   for both IKEv2 and IPsec.

Working Group Summary

   The document was discussed fairly well in the WG, both as an 
   individual draft and then as a WG document. The WG Last Call
   elicited good review and changes to the document during,
   and after, the WG Last Call.

Document Quality

 There is at least one implementation and the draft was reviewed by
 several developers, some have implemented the algorithms in other
 applications to date.

Personnel

Paul Hoffman is the document shepherd, and Kathleen Moriarty is 
the responsible Area Director.

IANA Note

  There are no additional IANA actions.
  IANA has assigned the value 28 as a transform identifier for the
  algorithm described in this document in the "Transform Type 1 -
  Encryption Algorithm Transform IDs" registry.