Subject: [IPsec] Alexey Melnikov's Discuss on draft-ietf-ipsecme-split-dns-14: (with DISCUSS)

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2018 09:40:56 -0800

Alexey Melnikov has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-ipsecme-split-dns-14: Discuss

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ipsecme-split-dns/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSS:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a well written document, so thank you for that.
I've noticed that Benjamin already found typos that I found and raised one of
the same questions, but I think this is important enough to be addressed before
I recommend approval of this document. Specifically:

In Section 3.1:

   o  Domain Name (0 or more octets) - A Fully Qualified Domain Name
      used for Split DNS rules, such as "example.com", in DNS
      presentation format and optionally using IDNA [RFC5890] for
      Internationalized Domain Names.

Do you mean A-label or U-label form here?

      Implementors need to be careful
      that this value is not null-terminated.

---

From: Paul Wouters <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2018 11:50:24 +0700

I thought it was obvious that we meant A-label. Why else refer to IDN if 
you would just put in U-label, but I'll add the A-label term.

Paul

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2018 13:58:09 +0000

Hi Paul,

> you would just put in U-label, but I'll add the A-label term.

There are documents which allow either, so being clear on this point is important.

Thank you,
Alexey