Subject: [IPsec] Suresh Krishnan's No Objection on draft-ietf-ipsecme-split-dns-14: (with COMMENT)

From: Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2018 14:20:12 -0800

Suresh Krishnan has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-ipsecme-split-dns-14: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ipsecme-split-dns/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

* Sections 3.1 and 7

I have a hard time seeing why the length of the INTERNAL_DNS_DOMAIN attribute
would ever be zero. Do you expect someone to send an empty attribute? If not,
the attribute definition should be updated in Section 7.

* Meta comment

Since the draft needs and uses a lot of example domain names, I would suggest
using a reserved TLD (e.g. ".example") from BCP32 to build up the examples
instead of using registered domain names.

---

From: Paul Wouters <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 00:25:40 -0500 (EST)

If the initiator has no domains listed, it can send a zero-length
attribute to indicate support for this feature. The responder can then
decide to include INTERNAL_DNS_DOMAIN replies (non-zero). or perhaps
even indicate support, but no configured domains, with a zero length
reply.

> instead of using registered domain names.

Yes, others have made similar comments and I will make the changes.

Paul

---

From: Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 01:14:30 -0500

Hi Paul,

> even indicate support, but no configured domains, with a zero length

That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

> Yes, others have made similar comments and I will make the changes.

Excellent.

Regards
Suresh