Subject: Re: [IPsec] Extra note to IKEv2 Transform registries

From: Paul Wouters <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2019 10:19:55 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 30 Jan 2019, Tero Kivinen wrote:

> No. Only change the reference to the document that says those
> algorithms are MUST NOT. You wanted clickable link to document that
> will tell the status. This results in what you asked for....
>
> Having obsolete or deprecated in reference column in addition to the
> RFC8221/8247 reference would be bigger change, and then I think
> die-die-die document would be better reference and that document could
> ask IANA to make the changes.

Shouldn't that be a 8221bis / 8247bis document ?

I'm happy to write a separate diediedie document, but it would sort of
break the cycle of our IKE and ESP/AH document updates?

Paul

---

From: Daniel Migault <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2019 12:05:01 -0500

For now, I am fine either ways (reference or note) as long as the up-to
date recommendations documents are "obviously" visible on the IANA page. If
we want to have further changes, I believe we should have a sort of policy
document that clarify / define the IANA page.
In curdle we have long being confronted to the issue what reference should
be placed in the IANA page as well as what information should be placed as
a reference: the document creating the registry, document updating this
document, the document describing the algorithm, the document
obsoleting...  There is no one single rule!  I also believe that is an
important document to have and we should keep that simple.
In a future version of the IANA page, I am personally, I am in favor of
having clearly deprecated/obsolete/historic in the column.

Yours,
Daniel

On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 10:20 AM Paul Wouters <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> IPsec mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipsec
>

---

From: Tero Kivinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2019 19:48:06 +0200

> Shouldn't that be a 8221bis / 8247bis document ?

Could be. 

> break the cycle of our IKE and ESP/AH document updates?

Writing separate die-die-die document would be faster, and I do not
think we have yet any pending changes for the algorithms we have in
8221 and 8247 waiting to be done.
-- 
[email-masked]