Subject: [IPsec] Barry Leiba's No Objection on charter-ietf-ipsecme-12-00: (with COMMENT)

From: Barry Leiba via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2019 23:48:22 -0800

Barry Leiba has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-ipsecme-12-00: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-ipsecme/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Some wordsmithing on the two new paragraphs, mostly correcting grammar errors and awkward wording:

NEW
RFC8229, published in 2017, specifies how to encapsulate
IKEv2 and ESP traffic in TCP.  Implementation experience has
revealed that not all situations are covered in RFC8229, and that may
lead to interoperability problems or to suboptimal performance. The WG
will provide a document to give implementors more guidance about how to use
reliable stream transport in IKEv2 and clarify some issues that have been
discovered. A possible starting point is draft-smyslov-ipsecme-tcp-guidelines.

The demand for Traffic Flow Confidentiality has been increasing in the user
community, but the current method defined in RFC4303 (adding null
padding to each ESP payload) is very inefficient in its use of network
resources. The working group will develop an alternative TFC solution that
uses network resources more efficiently.
END