Subject: [IPsec] Alexey Melnikov's No Objection on draft-ietf-ipsecme-qr-ikev2-10: (with COMMENT)

From: Alexey Melnikov via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2020 10:16:05 -0800

Alexey Melnikov has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-ipsecme-qr-ikev2-10: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ipsecme-qr-ikev2/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for this document. One small suggestion below:

5.1.  PPK_ID format

   o  PPK_ID_FIXED (2) - in this case the format of the PPK_ID and the
      PPK are fixed octet strings; the remaining bytes of the PPK_ID are
      a configured value.  We assume that there is a fixed mapping
      between PPK_ID and PPK, which is configured locally to both the
      initiator and the responder.  The responder can use the PPK_ID to
      look up the corresponding PPK value.  Not all implementations are
      able to configure arbitrary octet strings; to improve the
      potential interoperability, it is recommended that, in the
      PPK_ID_FIXED case, both the PPK and the PPK_ID strings be limited
      to the base64 character set, namely the 64 characters 0-9, A-Z,
      a-z, + and /.

In order to avoid any doubt, I suggest you make it clear that you mean ASCII
encoding here. For this you should add a normative reference to RFC 20 in the
last quoted sentence.

---

From: "Panos Kampanakis (pkampana)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2020 04:11:57 +0000

Thanks Alexey. The text will now read 

      [...] both the PPK and the PPK_ID strings be limited
      to the base64 character set, namely the 64 ASCII [RFC0020]
      characters 0-9, A-Z, a-z, + and /.

-----Original Message-----
From: IPsec <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Alexey Melnikov via
Datatracker
Sent: Tuesday, January 07, 2020 1:16 PM
To: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]
Subject: [IPsec] Alexey Melnikov's No Objection on
draft-ietf-ipsecme-qr-ikev2-10: (with COMMENT)

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all email
addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

5.1.  PPK_ID format

In order to avoid any doubt, I suggest you make it clear that you mean ASCII
encoding here. For this you should add a normative reference to RFC 20 in
the last quoted sentence.

_______________________________________________
IPsec mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipsec