Subject: [IPsec] RFC 8784 on Mixing Preshared Keys in the Internet Key Exchange Protocol Version 2 (IKEv2) for Post-quantum Security

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2020 14:48:57 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8784

        Title:      Mixing Preshared Keys in the 
                    Internet Key Exchange Protocol Version 2 
                    (IKEv2) for Post-quantum Security 
        Author:     S. Fluhrer,
                    P. Kampanakis,
                    D. McGrew,
                    V. Smyslov
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       June 2020
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      16
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ipsecme-qr-ikev2-11.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8784

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8784

The possibility of quantum computers poses a serious challenge to
cryptographic algorithms deployed widely today.  The Internet Key
Exchange Protocol Version 2 (IKEv2) is one example of a cryptosystem
that could be broken; someone storing VPN communications today could
decrypt them at a later time when a quantum computer is available. 
It is anticipated that IKEv2 will be extended to support
quantum-secure key exchange algorithms; however, that is not likely
to happen in the near term.  To address this problem before then,
this document describes an extension of IKEv2 to allow it to be
resistant to a quantum computer by using preshared keys.

This document is a product of the IP Security Maintenance and Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC