Subject: [IPsec] IPsec NSA recommendations 108

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2020 16:54:50 +0200

https://media.defense.gov/2020/Jul/02/2002355501/-1/-1/0/CONFIGURING_IPSEC_VIRTUAL_PRIVATE_NETWORKS_2020_07_01_FINAL_RELEASE.PDF

No Swans mentioned ;-(

---

From: Paul Wouters <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2020 12:26:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 7 Jul 2020, Toerless Eckert wrote:

> Subject: [IPsec] IPsec NSA recommendations 108
>

Last week, NIST released an update to SP 800-77 "Guide to IPsec VPNs". I'm one of
the authors: https://csrc.nist.gov/publications/detail/sp/800-77/rev-1/final

You will find both libreswan and strongswan examples there :)

The NSA document recommends DH 16 as minimum over DH14, SHA2-384 as
minimum over SHA2_256 and AES256 over AES128.

I can understand the last one due to Grover's algorithm reducing the
effective keysize to half, but I'm not sure where the DH and SHA2
recommendations come from. Does anyone know their reasoning?

Paul