Subject: [IPsec] Protocol Action: 'IKEv2 Notification Status Types for IPv4/IPv6 Coexistence' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-ipsecme-ipv6-ipv4-codes-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2020 09:32:07 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'IKEv2 Notification Status Types for IPv4/IPv6 Coexistence'
  (draft-ietf-ipsecme-ipv6-ipv4-codes-06.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IP Security Maintenance and Extensions
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benjamin Kaduk and Roman Danyliw.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ipsecme-ipv6-ipv4-codes/

Technical Summary

draft-ietf-ipsecme-ipv6-ipv4-codes specifies new IKEv2 notification status types to better
manage IPv4 and IPv6 co-existence.  The new codes improve upon the generic error code 
INTERNAL_ADDRESS_FAILURE that is in RFC 7296. This document updates RFC 7296.

Working Group Summary

The document was reviewed by the usual suspects of the IPsecME working group: Paul 
Wouters, Valery Smyslov, MCR, Daniel Migault, Tero, and Yoav Nir. The review was thorough and 
resulted in some changes. but consensus was rough on a few points:
 * That the new notifications are always sent, regardless of whether the Initiator
   did or did not request a particular type of address, and regardless of whether the
   Responder was able to fulfill the request.
 * It was a little controversial whether this draft ought to update 7296, or whether it
   is just an extension.

Document Quality

The reviewers named in the WG summary section are quite experienced and the
document quality is believed to be high.  No implementations have been
indicated yet.

Personnel

Ben Kaduk is the responsible AD; Yoav Nir is the document shepherd.