Subject: [IPsec] draft-pwouters-ikev1-ipsec-graveyard-06

From: Paul Wouters <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2021 22:41:39 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I just bumped the version on the document. There were no oustanding
issues on the document.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-pwouters-ikev1-ipsec-graveyard/

Just to remind everyone, the document does a few things:

- Asks IANA to formally close the IKEv1 registries
- Adds a Status column to the crypto algorithms allowing us to clearly
   mark an algorithm deprecated.
- Urge implementors to stop implementing IKEv1 and sort of tell
   users to migrate to IKEv2.
- Note IKEv1 is Historic (mostly for ourselves to push the right
   buttons to mark it historic)

I urge the WG chairs to quickly do a call for adoption so we can finally
either get this published, or drop it completely. It has been too long
in this stalemate status.

If we do decide to NOT adopt and publish, then I will strongly advocate
for incorporating at least the Status column and the algorithm
deprecation into 8221bis and/or 8247bis. Although I personally thing we
should wait another 1-2 years for such a bis document, so we can
downgrade 3DES and SHA1 to MUST NOT, and AES-CBC to SHOULD NOT.

WG chairs, consider this email both my request for agenda item and my
presentation :)

Paul