Subject: [IPsec] WG adoption call for draft-smyslov-ipsecme-rfc8229bis

From: Tero Kivinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2021 16:35:02 +0200

This is the start of 1.5 week WG adoption call for this document,
ending 2021-02-07 (just before our IPsecME session in IETF 110).
Please send your reply about whether you support adopting this
document as WG document or not.

Our charter has item for:

	RFC8229, published in 2017, specifies how to encapsulate IKEv2
	and ESP traffic in TCP. Implementation experience has revealed
	that not all situations are covered in RFC8229, and that may
	lead to interoperability problems or to suboptimal
	performance. The WG will provide a document to give
	implementors more guidance about how to use reliable stream
	transport in IKEv2 and clarify some issues that have been
	discovered. A possible starting point is
	draft-smyslov-ipsecme-tcp-guidelines.

and during that process we decided it might be better to do full bis
version of the RFC8229 instead of just providing some kind of
guidelines document. This work is that bis document.
-- 
[email-masked]

---

From: "Valery Smyslov" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 11:30:05 +0300

Hi,

as co-author I support adoption of this document.

Regards,
Valery.

> _______________________________________________
> IPsec mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipsec

---

From: Paul Wouters <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2021 13:26:23 -0500 (EST)

> document as WG document or not.

I am in favour of adoption. We have been working on this support
for Linux XFRM with libreswan IKE. We definately found some issues
that we needed to work around or fix. We still have to see about
whether those lead to new or different text in the bis document.

So while I hope we don't go into WGLC too soon, an updated document is
the best solution, and I will review and see about getting some of our
own implementation issues written down into the document.

Paul