Subject: Address ranges

From: "Casey Carr" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 11:15:48 -0500

Could someone please give me some guidance on how the IPSec policy model
addresses (no pun intended) filtering on a range of IPv4 addresses?

The IPSec library we are using supports defining filters based on address
ranges but it doesn't appear to me that the model supports this.  I've
reviewed the PCIMe.  This is my interpretation:

1) PCIMe defines the PolicyIPv4AddrValue which supports the definition of an
address range.
2) The HdrSrcAddress and HdrDestAddress properties of the IpHeadersFilter
are defined as OctetStrings

Should I be interpreting that the OctectString can be a PolicyIPv4AddrValue?
The description of the properties in the IpHeadersFilter leads me to believe
that this would NOT be an appropriate interpretation.

Thanks in advance.

Casey

---

From: Eric Vyncke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 18:37:47 +0100

>ranges but it doesn't appear to me that the model supports this.  I've

This is correct as ICPM tried to re-use as much as possible of PCIM/PCIMe 
which does not understand IP address ranges

-eric

---

From: "Scott G. Kelly" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 14:56:43 -0800

> which does not understand IP address ranges

Since RFC2401 mandates support for address ranges, shouldn't the policy
model support them?

Scott