Subject: Granularity in IPsec config model

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 13:28:35 -0500

Hi, 

Section 6.11.4 of draft-ietf-ipsp-config-policy-model-04.txt describes the Granularity property. It seems to me that if one would like to use only the source and protocol of the triggering packet or only the source address of the triggering packet, this cannot be done with any of the Granularity values. 

Is there a reason that the Granularity property is limited to the four values only? 

Best regards
Man

---

From: Eric Vyncke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 10:42:46 +0100

Hello Man,

See in-line

At 13:28 23/01/2002 -0500, [email-masked] wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Section 6.11.4 of draft-ietf-ipsp-config-policy-model-04.txt describes the 
>Granularity property. It seems to me that if one would like to use only 
>the source and protocol of the triggering packet or only the source 
>address of the triggering packet, this cannot be done with any of the 
>Granularity values.

Correct, the ID assumes a symmetrical approach (please note that the subnet 
value actually relies on the defined IPHeaderFilter --> you can probably 
get what you want by using specific IPHeaderFilter)

>Is there a reason that the Granularity property is limited to the four 

We simply assumed that this would cover 99.9% of the configuration and used 
this property for simplicity sake.

Nothing prevent you to extend the model

Regards

-eric