Subject: Uniqueness

From: "Casey Carr" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 16:25:49 -0400

Does the IPSec Policy Model or PCIM define how to uniquely identify an
instance of a class?

For example, the following is a cut an paste from the -05:

4.7.2. The Reference GroupComponent

   The property GroupComponent is inherited from PolicyRuleInPolicyGroup
   and is overridden to refer to an IPsecPolicyGroup instance.  The
   [1..1] cardinality indicates that a SARule instance may be contained
   in one and only one IPsecPolicyGroup instance (i.e., SARules are not
   shared across IPsecPolicyGroups).

What determines a unique instance of an SARule?  Should the model have
something similar to the INDEX definition is used in MIBs?

I am currently using the rule name to uniquely identify a rule and realized
that this was may not have been what was intended in the model.  I did a
quick review of PCIM and found no clues there either.

Thanks,
Casey

---

From: "Andrea Westerinen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 14:13:47 -0700

Casey, Different implementations have different concepts of names.  MIB rows
may have indexes, CIM classes have keys such as Name or InstanceID, etc.
The general model tries not to specify the key/identification structure
since it varies.  The specific data models will certainly define
identification mechanisms.

Andrea

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Casey Carr
Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 1:26 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Uniqueness

Thanks,
Casey