Subject: Draft Minutes, for review

From: "The Purple Streak, Hilarie Orman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 22:44:54 -0700

These are the draft minutes from the recent IPSP meeting; please send
changes to the chairs (Hilarie Orman, [email-masked]; Luis Sanchez,
xapiens.com).  The minutes will be posted for the proceedings next week.

-------------------

Minutes of IPsec Policy, IPSP, 55th IETF, Monday, November 18, 3:30 pm EST

The meeting opened with agenday bashing and a status of the WG
documents. The policy configuration documents are within episilon of
being ready to present to the IESG for a request for promotion to
Proposed Standard. Other Working Group items need discussion and
decisions about direction.

Security Area Director, Steve Bellovin verified that he alone has
looked at the submitted documents and he provided feedback to the
document authors. The IESG as a whole has not yet seen them. The AD
comments are summarized in the Chairs' presentation. One attendee
asked if AES must be added to the supported algorithms list, and the
answer was yes.

Another was whether or not the lifetime counters should be specified
at 64-bits in the IPsec architecture document.  The answer is no, but
we should make sure that the IPsec group is aware of the need to match
the lifetime counter size to the linespeed.  For configuration, we
have chosen 64-bits because it is large enough for all expected needs.

Eric Vyncke presented the IPsec Configuration Policy Model
status. Steve Bellovin commented that he expects the WG's in the
security area to have expertise for writing good security
considerations sections. Luis Sanchez replied that the applicable
contents of the first version of the IPSP Architecture document will
be added to the security considerations section of the IPCM draft. The
ICPM revisions based on AD feedback will be incorporated and the
document will be resubmitted very soon.  The WG Chairs will notify the
AD when the new documents are available, and this will alert him to
begin tracking the document through the IESG document tracker.

Robert Story presented a summary of the MIB document.  It is nearly
done, and the AD comments on the other documents will be addressed in
this document as well. The next version will be available very
soon. An informal poll showed that a handful of attendees are planning
to use PIBs or MIBs in projects in the very near future.

He gave the following information about the MIB and the implementation
status:

- MIB is now handled by Robert Story from Freesnmp together with Wes
  Hardaker and Russ Mundy from TISlabs, they also added
  normative/informative references.

- reference implementation on http://net-policy.sourceforge.net for
  Linux and PlutoPlus + Apache + perl for GUI

- MIB extended the ICPM with generic offset in the iPHeaderFilter

Bill Sommerfield presented the PF_POLICY concept, which is one part of
a three-part API for IPSec: IPSec management, PF_POLICY, PF_KEY. He
was asked several questions about how PF_KEY might change and what the
status of documentation and implementation is.  He said that some
minor parts of the implementation were done and that he needed time to
write up the documentation.  He got a volunteer to assist in writing a
requirements document.  We can expect a document on PF_POLICY by
second quarter 2003.

Michael Richardson re-presented slides about policy discovery.  We
need further discussion on the mailing list about how this might be
used for enterprise and ISP scenarios.

Luis Sanchez reviewed the WG charter. He pointed out accomplished WG
items (requirements, Confifuration Model, PIB and MIB) already and
noted that we need to update our milestone dates. 

Meeting ended.

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 17:13:49 -0500

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

>>>>> "The" == The Purple Streak, Hilarie Orman <[email-masked]> writes:
    The> Michael Richardson re-presented slides about policy discovery.  We
    The> need further discussion on the mailing list about how this might be
    The> used for enterprise and ISP scenarios.

  I claim that requirements-02.txt is complete and should advance.

]                   At IETF55 in Atlanta, GA                    |  firewalls  [
]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works, Ottawa, ON    |net architect[
] [email-masked] http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
] printk("Just another Debian GNU/Linux using, kernel hacking, security guy");[