Subject: Re: Preliminary minutes

From: Dan Harkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 10:13:40 -0800

It will have to use a new port/protocol. CRACK originally used a 
new ISAKMP exchange type but that ran foul of the dictat from our AD:
"No changes to IKE". 

  Dan.

On Mon, 18 Dec 2000 13:41:58 PST you wrote
> 
> ** PIC document
> draft-ietf-ipsra-pic-01.txt has many changes from -00. It now uses 
> EAP (RFC 2284) instead of XAuth, it uses a new ISAKMP exchange type, 
> and it eliminates one round trip. A comment from the floor indicated 
> that PIC will be open to the same attacks as agressive-mode IKE.

---

From: Paul Hoffman / VPNC <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 20:39:24 -0800

>new ISAKMP exchange type but that ran foul of the dictat from our AD:

There is huge difference. CRACK is only useful within IKE; the ISAKMP 
exchange is within PIC itself. The protocols that use ISAKMP other 
than IKE should be able to adopt CRACK freely.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium