Subject: [IPTEL] Virus checking for list posts.

From: Shaun Erickson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 11:04:27 -0500

Earlier this month, or late last month, I forget when exactly, the
MyParty virus was sent to the list server and then forwarded on out to
thousands of people. I was very unhappy that my server had aided in the
spread of this vermin.

I had been stripping attachements, based on certain extensions, but was
not stripping things with the .com extension, which that one came
through with.

To try and prevent this from happening again, all list mail now goes
through a system where it is scanned for virues, by McAfee's anti-virus
software, before being sent to the lists. The dat file for the
anti-virus software is kept as up to date as possible, as we check for
updates to it, once per hour. I still continue to drop attachements
based on extension type, as well, with .com now being one of them. I'm
sure others will be added over time.

I hope this new procedure will prevent my system from passing on viruses
to you, in the future.

	-ste (Bell Labs Listserver Administrator)
_______________________________________________
IPTEL mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/iptel