Subject: [Iptel] CPL as a standard for distinctive ringing

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 18:29:33 +0530

Hi,

This is regarding the suggested hypothetical extension to CPL
(draft-ietf-iptel-cpl-08: chapter 12.10) for distinctive ringing.

This extension was originally proposed in the 03 version of the draft.
Since then it has been kept as a "hypothetical" extension and _not_ as a
"standard" action node in 5 more later versions including the latest 08
version.

I would like to know the possibility/ acceptance of "ring"
(draft-ietf-iptel-cpl-08: chapter 12.10) node coming in the standard CPL
schema in future versions of the draft.

Also response from SIP proxy developers, who are following the suggested
extension for their distinctive ringing implementation, will be
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Subrata Sa

e-mail: [email-masked]
--------------------------------------
Next Generation Networks division
Hughes Software Systems

_______________________________________________
Iptel mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/iptel

---

From: Jonathan Lennox <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 14:45:25 -0500

> extension for their distinctive ringing implementation, will be

CPL is intended as a language for controlling SIP proxy servers.  There's no
(standardized) way to implement distinctive ring in a proxy server; it needs
to be done by user agents.

You might want to take a look at Xiaotao Wu's LESS, the Language for End
System Services.  It's an extension of CPL designed for end-system control
of this sort.

-- 
Jonathan Lennox
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 10:34:42 +0530

Probably subject of my mail was misleading. My intension was to mean CPL as
a standard way of scripting distinct ring plan at proxy server.

Its very much true that distinctive ringing has to be implemented at
end-points - which precisely means playing the ring tone specified in the
alert-info header in INVITE.

The hypothetical extension (draft-ietf-iptel-cpl-08: chapter 12.10) can be
used by proxy administrators to script a distinct ring plan for a
subscriber/ end-point. I was wondering how long this will be kept as a
"hypothetical" extension in the draft? The suggested "ring" node can be
included in the standard CPL schema just like other nodes e.g. "mail"
non-signalling node. In that case, proxy server developers will provide CPL
as a standard way of scripting distinct ring plan for a subscriber.

             Jonathan Lennox                                               
             <[email-masked]                                             
             ia.edu>                                                    To 
                                       [email-masked]                     
             02/05/04 01:15 AM                                          cc 
                                       [email-masked],                     
                                       [email-masked]            
                                                                   Subject 
                                       Re: [Iptel] CPL as a standard for   
                                       distinctive ringing                 

                                                                           

> extension for their distinctive ringing implementation, will be

CPL is intended as a language for controlling SIP proxy servers.  There's
no
(standardized) way to implement distinctive ring in a proxy server; it
needs
to be done by user agents.

--
Jonathan Lennox
[email-masked]

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 02:20:26 -0500

> a standard way of scripting distinct ring plan at proxy server.

I think what you had in mind here is that the proxy would process the 
CPL, and insert an Alert-Info header, and then forward that INVITE to 
the UA which would play that ring. Is that right?

> as a standard way of scripting distinct ring plan for a subscriber.

CPL is complete, and thus no features will be added to the base 
specification. However CPL is extensible. If you have an interest in 
seeing such an extension standardized, I would suggest writing up an 
internet-draft with a proposed extension, and bringing that forward for 
discussion.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com