Subject: [Iptel] Proper URI encoding for special public numbers?

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 18:52:55 -0500

I'm trying to figure out a good and proper way to represent dialed
telephone numbers. Tel format is fine for e.164 numbers. My current 
problem is with how to represent public non-e.164 numbers.

RFC3966 *suggests* that "911" be represented as
<tel:911;phone-context=+1>, and that seems extensible to all of the N11
addresses. (I know about the sos stuff. Maybe that will take precedence 
for 911, but not for the other N11s.)

While it makes *sense*, it isn't clear to me that 3966 is being
normative here. It does seem clear that using +1 as a context is only
appropriate for the "owner" of +1. I'm thinking that means those
responsible for the NANP. So it would be them who ought to say whether
this is an appropriate usage. I may think it is intuitive, but to go
ahead and use it that way is to second guess what they think.

There are other cases as well. A big one is Operator - both as a
destination of its own, and in the form of an operator assisted call.
(0nnn). In the direct form <tel:0;phone-context=+1> seems appropriate.
Dealing with 0nnn is another story.

Has this already been discussed and resolved?

	Paul

_______________________________________________
Iptel mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/iptel