Subject: [Isis-wg] Passive interface

From: Nageswara Rao Soma <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 10:49:02 -0800

Hi,

Somewhere I read that only routing updates are not sent over passive
interfaces.
However, neighbors' updates are received and processed over passive
interfaces
without affecting adjacencies.

Could someone please explain me little more about this?

Advance thanks for any help.
Soma.
PS: Forgive me if have not sent to correct mailing list address.

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list  -  [email-masked]
http://external.juniper.net/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg

---

From: Dave Katz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 11:32:37 -0800 (PST)

Passive interfaces are a figment of implementation, rather than of
specmanship.

For LS protocols, the implementations with which I'm familiar will
advertise passive interfaces as internal routes, but don't attempt
to do any protocol handling at all (since it doesn't make a whole
lot of sense and wouldn't work anyhow).

For periodic DV protocols (i.e., RIP and IGRP), passive usually means
that you're receiving the updates (since they're being blindly sent)
but not sending anything back.  This is the classic RIP-as-a-
router-discovery-protocol mode.

   From: Nageswara Rao Soma <[email-masked]>

   Hi,