Subject: [Isis-wg] Changing the system id while running

From: Hans De Vleeschouwer WX29 58223 <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 11:53:11 +0100

hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to change the ISIS system id while the
router is up and running, or whether it is needed to first turn off the
protocol.

Does anybody have some expierence with this?

kind regards,
  Hans De Vleeschouwer
  Alcatel Belgium

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list  -  [email-masked]
http://external.juniper.net/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg

---

From: Mike Shand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 11:32:52 +0000

>router is up and running, or whether it is needed to first turn off the

Well notionally a router with a different system ID is a different router, 
so it would be necessary to drop the adjacencies to the old systemID, let 
the old LSPs die (or purge them) and then form new adjacencies and generate 
new LSPs.

This is equivalent to turning off the protocol. I suppose it is conceivable 
that one could implement something which did all this in response to 
changing the system ID, without requiring a separate command to turn the 
protocol off and back on again, but architecturally it would still be 
turning off and turning back on the protocol.

One could envisage a router having multiple system IDs each with their own 
set of LSPs, but this starts to get very complicated.

Can I ask why you would want to do this?