Subject: [Isis-wg] Qn on Pt-Pt IIH

From: Satish Dattatri <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 14:32:52 -0800

Hi,
I have a question on pt-pt iih processing:

While processing a pt-pt iih does the max area 
in the packet need to match always? according to
[8.2.5.2 (a)]

In case of Lan IIH we see if the max area check
is enabled or not before discarding the packet.

Or is there a error in the version 2 draft here.

thanks,
satish

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list  -  [email-masked]
http://external.juniper.net/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg

---

From: "Lester Ginsberg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 14:57:12 -0800 (PST)

The text in 8.2.5.2(a) in 1998 draft appears identical to the text in
8.2.4.2(a) 1992 spec. And both clearly state text which is identical to 
the LAN IIH case (8.4.2.2(b) - 1992):

  "...unless the IS only implements a value of three...
   in which case this check may be omitted."

So I am rather confused as to why you think LAN/P2P are different in
this regard.

And, once again, I repeat to one and all - please do NOT use the 1998
draft as a reference for protocol implementations. It is not an
approved standard, it has lots of problems. Until a newer revision is
available - 1992 is what to live by. 
(Sorry for the repetition of this warning - but it seems necessary.)

  Les