Subject: RE: [Isis-wg] ISO 10589 : 1992 Edition

From: Jeff Parker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 14:16:02 -0500

> Hi,
> Does anyone have a digital copy of
> 1992 spec? OR do one have to buy a
> printed version only.
> 
> Thanks,
> satish

Satish -
	Check RFC 1142, a reprinting of 10589.  
There are Text and postscript versions.  
The text version is a poor imitation.   

	http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1142.txt
	http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1142.ps

- jeff parker

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list  -  [email-masked]
http://external.juniper.net/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg

---

From: dclemmen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 14:52:37 -0500

>         http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1142.ps

RFC1142 claims to be the 1990 version of the document, I think.
Satish is looking for the 1992 version.

---

From: Mike Shand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 08:14:09 +0000

>Satish is looking for the 1992 version.

Yes. RFC1142 is a copy of the DP version of 10589. For those unfamiliar 
with ISO terminology (in those days), there were 3 stages; DP, DIS and IS. 
DP was the first stage of submission, and numerous changes were made 
between then and publication of the final standard. I wouldn't try to work 
off RFC1142 (nor, as has oft been repeated, would I try to work off the so 
called version 2 of 10589 which is plain WRONG). The best course is to get 
hold of a copy of the original version 1 (ISO/IEC 10589:1992) AND the 
various technical corrigenda. These mostly correct trivial errors, but 
there are some (for example the operation of partition repair; should 
anyone be foolhardy enough to implement it) which correct very serious bugs.

I don't know what the current rules are, but as far as I am aware ISO 
standards still cannot be made publicly available.

---

From: "Lester Ginsberg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 21:04:19 -0800

ISO standards can be purchased from your national organization - in the
US that is ANSI (www.ansi.org). Both 1992 spec and the three published
Technical Corrigenda should be available. 

   Les