Subject: Re: [Isis-wg] Clarification..

From: Tony Przygienda <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 13:51:32 -0700

Henk Smit wrote:

> > Thanks for the reponse.
> > I still have one doubt.. Can we use these addresses advetised in LSP TLV's
> > for next hop addresses.Since these addresses have no specific mapping to
> > the IP reachability information.
> > Please correct me if I'm wrong.
>
>   Ai, sorry, I was to quick in my reply.
>  The IP interface address TLV (TLV #132) I was talking about are the IP
>  interface address TLVs used in *hellos*. Not in LSPs.
>
>   In LSPs there is the same TLV (TLV #132). But those have no practical use.
>  And you are not supposed to use them in your routing calculations.
>  The easiest thing is to just ignore them during your SPF computation.

You are not supposed to use them in the routing calculations, so far Henk's correct,
but some people  use them as the management address of the router so basically
if they need  to connect to the box to manage it, they use this specific address.
That way you can advertise a stable loopback independent from the fact whether
certain router interfaces are up or not ... One can solve the problem in different
ways as well but that's one way ...

    just my 2c

    -- tony

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list  -  [email-masked]
http://external.juniper.net/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg