Subject: [Isis-wg] Clarification on Dual ISIS

From: Navaneeth K <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 17:12:18 +0530

Hi,
The doubt is regarding a Dual environment where integrated ISIS is 
deployed.
In this scenario,
  i. Is it possible for a system reachable through a circuit to have both 
IP and OSI  addresses simultaneously?
ii. In Dual routers, normally are both the IP and OSI addresses valid at 
the same time?

 According to RFC 1195, A dual router must be capable of routing both IP 
and OSI packets. Are there Any address considerations in this regard?

Thanx
Navaneeth.

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list  -  [email-masked]
http://external.juniper.net/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg

---

From: Henk Smit <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 14:14:41 +0200 (MEST)

> IP and OSI  addresses simultaneously?

  Yes.
 Note, IP addresses are interface specific. E.g. each interface typically
 has one IP address. OSI addresses (NSAPs) are box specific. E.g. typically
 each router or each hosts has a single OSI address.

> ii. In Dual routers, normally are both the IP and OSI addresses valid at 

  That is the definition of a Dual router.
 An ISIS-CLNS router has and OSI address (an NSAP), forwards CLNS packets,
 and does not  forward IP packets.
  An ISIS-IP router has an IP addresses, forwards IP packets, and does not 
 forward CLNS packets. Typically an ISIS-IP router still has an NSAP
 configured, because it needs a systemID and an area-address.

  A Dual router has all of that combined. IP addresses, an NSAP, and it
 does forward IP and CLNS packets.

> and OSI packets. Are there Any address considerations in this regard?

  Not that I can think of. IP and OSI address space are independant.
 But don't forget that typically the NSAP is used to derive the systemID
 and the area-address.

  Hope this helps,

           Henk.

---

From: "ben abarbanel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 09:35:50 -0700

Does anybody know where I can purchase a reliable implementation of ISIS
with dual mode.

Thanks,
Ben