Subject: [Isis-wg] Packet encapsulations

From: "Nava.Zvaig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 10:09:33 -1000

I'm looking for the latest encapsulations of IS-IS packets.  It seemed that
the format detailed in RFC 1195 and RFC 1142 has changed.  For example, by
searching the web, I found out that the common header doesn't include the
ECO and USER ECO fields and has the Maximum Area Addresses field.  Is there
another source that describes the encapsulations of the Hello, LSP, and SNPs
(for IS-IS over IP)?

TIA,
Nava

---

From: Micah Bartell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 17:37:59 -0500

With regards to the encapsulations of IS-IS packets, they are encapsulated within the Data Link.  They do not run over CLNS or over IP.  Does this answer you question?  I would also not recommend the use of RFC 1142 as it is not the final draft of ISO 10589.  I would instead recommend the obtaining an actual copy of ISO 10589 with the related updates which are packaged together by ANSI.

Yes, work is in progress to produce a new edition of ISO 10589 which contains the defect reports integrated into the standard.

/mpb

At 10:09 AM 5/24/2000 -1000, Nava.Zvaig wrote:

>I'm looking for the latest encapsulations of IS-IS packets.  It seemed that the format detailed in RFC 1195 and RFC 1142 has changed.  For example, by searching the web, I found out that the common header doesn't include the ECO and USER ECO fields and has the Maximum Area Addresses field.  Is there another source that describes the encapsulations of the Hello, LSP, and SNPs (for IS-IS over IP)?
>
>TIA, 
>Nava 

--
Micah Bartell, CCIE #5069			[email-masked]
Network Consulting Engineer, NSA		Phone: 972.364.8829
Cisco Systems, Inc				Fax: 972.364.8829
--
The Network Works, No Excuses

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list  -  [email-masked]
http://external.juniper.net/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg