Subject: RE: [Isis-wg] router ID for IS-IS

From: Jeff Parker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 18:34:38 -0400

> What does IS-IS use for router ID? 

If you use the same router ID that BGP and OSPF
use, then you may be able to share some information
between the protocols.    

This doesn't really answer your question, but
does suggest that you define some answer 
common to all protocols you support.

- jeff parker
- Lucent

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list  -  [email-masked]
http://external.juniper.net/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg

---

From: "Rajesh Saluja" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 21:41:27 -0400

> common to all protocols you support.

Jeff,
I was wondering if anybody uses ISIS router ID ( which is 1 to 8 bytes
long ) same as BGP router ID ( which is 4 bytes long )? The same router
ID for BGP and OSPF is very helpful when you import routes from BGP into
OSPF routing domain. I am not sure if anybody distributes BGP routes
into IISIS domain in the field? 

Regards,
Rajesh

---

From: Tony Li <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 19:21:46 -0700 (PDT)

| I was wondering if anybody uses ISIS router ID ( which is 1 to 8 bytes
 | long ) same as BGP router ID ( which is 4 bytes long )? The same router
 | ID for BGP and OSPF is very helpful when you import routes from BGP into
 | OSPF routing domain. 

Many people do this, but not in the obvious way.  They take the IP router
ID and convert it into Binary Coded Decimal, concatenate it and then use
those resulting 6 bytes as the system id.  For example:

      router id 1.2.3.4	   =>  001.002.003.004

					|
					V

			       0x001002003004

					|
					V

			       0x00 0x10 0x02 0x00 0x30 0x04

Ugly, eh?

 | I am not sure if anybody distributes BGP routes into IISIS domain in the
 | field?  

This turns out to be a very bad idea, in so very many ways.

Tony