Subject: Re: [Isis-wg] too many segments

From: Radia Perlman - Boston Center for Networking <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 12:10:42 -0400 (EDT)

Mike,

Your point about the genuine router links is correct...but as you also
point out, there is no problem with the assymetric costs (nonzero
cost when fake nodes point to the real node) when it's for lots of
imported routes. So the rule should be explicit about what information
is allowed to hang off fake nodes (only leaf information). Would
anyone ever need more than 255 fragments' worth of router neighbor information?
(for instance, a really humongous "LAN" with thousands of attached
routers).

Radia

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list  -  [email-masked]
http://external.juniper.net/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg

---

From: Tony Li <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 10:15:01 -0700 (PDT)

| Would anyone ever need more than 255 fragments' worth of router neighbor
 | information?  (for instance, a really humongous "LAN" with thousands of
 | attached routers).

Possibly.  But the aforementioned solution for creation of additional
sysids would apply.  The question then degenerates into: do you ever need
more than 255 fragments to describe the adjacencies for a single interface?
At current technology levels, I bet one can't support the IIH traffic
necessary to do this.

Tony