Subject: [Isis-wg] General info about IS-IS

From: "Jasper Chin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 12:26:39 -0400

I'm new to IS-IS and am looking to learn about
this routing protocol.

Could anyone suggest a roadmap of reading material
that would be beneficial?  Is there a FAQ on this
topic?

TIA,

J. Chin

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list  -  [email-masked]
http://external.juniper.net/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg

---

From: Jeff Learman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 14:52:34 -0400

Jasper,

RFC 1195, "ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc1195.txt", has a great
overview of IS-IS.  After that, I recommend Radia Perlman's
"Interconnections", although that covers both bridges and routers
and a variety of related protocols, and only a relatively small
portion of the book concerns IS-IS.  But it's very useful because
it explains the concepts of link-state routing as differentiated
from distance-vector routing, and has amusing anecdotes as well.

For a somewhat fluffier overview, you can see
"ftp://ftp.atis.org/pub/sif/arch/ar970820.ppt", although this was
prepared for an audience that was familiar with OSI addressing.
Ignore the last three slides, which are specific to carrier-class
SONET management networks.

Regards,
Jeff

>that would be beneficial?  Is there a FAQ on this

____________________________________________________________________

   Jeff Learman                           Internet:     [email-masked]
   Engineering Manager                    Voice:     (734)-975-7323
   ONE (Open Networks Engineering, Inc)   Fax:       (734)-975-6940
   2725 South Industrial Pkwy, Suite 100
   Ann Arbor, MI  48104  USA
____________________________________________________________________