Subject: [Isis-wg] Choice of encapsulation on ATM

From: Cyndi Jung <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 17:50:35 -0800

Hi,

We've been brushing off 3Com's old IS-IS implementation, making it
support IPv6, and have noticed that it was never (in our system)
made to run over ATM, so we're doing that too.  The problem is that
in RFC1483 it describes two encapsulations for OSI packets over
ATM - the LLC encapsulation FE-FE-03 and the NLPID encapsulation,
which for IS-IS would simply be the IS-IS frame (NLPID is the first
octet, er, byte).

So, which of these encapsulations ever got used?  I know that CLNP
was quite dead by the time everybody was implementing ATM (the reason
I don't already know the answer), but IS-IS was certainly used over ATM
to support IPv4 routing ala RFC1195.

Does anybody out there know?  Do we need to do both?  Is there any reason
one might be preferred?

Thanks,

Cyndi

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list  -  [email-masked]
http://external.juniper.net/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg