Subject: [Isms] Follow up to ISMS Proposal Comparison ID

From: Kaushik Narayan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 08:46:30 -0800

Hi All,

draft-ietf-isms-proposal-comparison-00.txt says:

    The evaluation team concludes that the EUSM architecture would be the
    right direction for the ISMS WG.  However, a number of aspects of the
    EUSM design need moderate to substantial revision.  In the following,
    we first describe the components of the design that we consider most
    attractive, and then list the components that need to be revised and
    suggest components from other proposals as examples as appropriate:

We realize that this is only the conclusion of the evaluation team,
and not the conclusion of the WG.  However, we have asked the WG chairs
how we can help this process along, and their advice is that we
apply as many of the evaluation team's suggestions to our I-D as
we can, and thereby we may be able to help to speed up the overall
process (even if the WG were to decide to take another direction).

To this end, we plan to submit an updated I-D (i.e., to submit
draft-kaushik-snmp-external-usm-02.txt) before next Sunday evening's
deadline.  Below is a list of the specific changes we propose to
make.  If anyone has any better ideas, please let us know.

Proposed changes:

1. Follow the SNMPv3 architecture and not distinguish between manager and 
agents.

2. Document and justify protocol choices such PEAP vs EAP-TLS vs TTLS and 
choice of
     inner EAP methods. Clean up the reference to CBC-DES.

3. Document the dependencies on other work in progress such as PANA, EAP 
and Radius.

We also propose to make the following changes but will not be able to complete
these changes before next Sunday's deadline.

1. Rewrite the core proposal similar to TLSM illustrating the integration 
with RFC3411.

2. We will try to augment the generic description of the EUSM architecture 
with a use
    case illustrating the support for Kerberos.

regards,
    kaushik!

_______________________________________________
Isms mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isms