Subject: RE: [Isms] RE: Authentication and access control requirements

From: "Salowey, Joe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 17:43:18 -0700

> SNMPv3 was designed to allow various types of principals to 
> be represented, in order to meet various specific 
> requirements of the operator and NMS-developer communities. I 
> am interested in understanding how the SSH concepts fit into 
> the SNMPv3 architecture.
> Does SSH support authenticating users and applications and 
> other principals, or is SSH restricted to certain types of principals?
> 

[Joe] SSH can support different types of credentials representing
different types of principals.  Typically the SSH server application is
authenticated to SSH client application using a public/private key pair,
there are other options available such as
draft-ietf-secsh-gsskeyex-09.txt which use different types of
credentials.  Once the server application has been authenticated then
SSH authentication protocol (draft-ietf-secsh-userauth-27.txt) is
executed to authenticate the client principal which typically is a user
or an application.  The SSH authentication protocol can support a wide
range of credential types.  

_______________________________________________
Isms mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isms