Subject: RE: [Isms] Coming to consensus

From: "Fleischman, Eric" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 15:42:34 -0700

Group:

Don't both TLS and SSH require TCP transports while only DTLS can
support UDP? If this is true, isn't our next decision point the
evaluation of whether SNMP shall continue to be supported over either
TCP or UDP or whether we only want it over UDP? If the former, do we
want one "secure session" technology to be used for both UDP and TCP or
do we allow the UDP to have a different "secure session" technology than
TCP?

My own perspective (for whatever it is worth) is that SNMP has had
better performance in wireless and bandwidth constrained environments
using UDP than TCP. Thus, the view from my knot-hole is that UDP is
important. I also would prefer a single generic "secure session"
approach. Can SSH support UDP? If not, then I suggest that we use (D)TLS
(i.e., TLS for TCP and DTLS for UDP).

--Eric

_______________________________________________
Isms mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isms

---

From: "Fleischman, Eric" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 15:44:01 -0700

Silly me: I mis-stated the first question. It should be whether we want
to be able to convey SNMP over either UDP or TCP or whether we only want
to convey it over TCP. 

-----Original Message-----
From: Fleischman, Eric 
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2005 3:43 PM
To: 'Ken Hornstein'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Isms] Coming to consensus 

Group:

--Eric