Subject: RE: [Isms] Coming to consensus

From: "Nelson, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 15:57:54 -0400

Kaushik Narayan writes...

> That's a lot of state that needs to be maintained on the manager.

Perhaps, but managers are typically highly capable workstations, with
fast CPUs, a large amount of RAM and an even larger amount of
disk-resident virtual memory, swap files and page files.

_______________________________________________
Isms mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isms

---

From: Kaushik Narayan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 13:28:05 -0700

>disk-resident virtual memory, swap files and page files.

Sure enough but there are limits to that. In the past, when tried to do
SNMPoIPSec, the managers (a workstation with a 1 Gig of RAM)
couldn't handle more than 20/30 tunnels and we had to recommend
running IPSec from the first hop router and this was stations just doing
SNMP with devices.

I am not saying that we will have exactly the same number with TLS
but I am not sure we will be able to do ten thousand TLS sessions.

regards,
   kaushik!