Subject: [Isms] Re: TCP, UDP and the rest of the infrastructure

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 14:43:44 -0400

>>>>> "Fleischman," == Fleischman, Eric <[email-masked]> writes:

    Fleischman,> From: Sam Hartman [mailto:[email-masked]]
    >> Fleischman,> From: Sam Hartman [mailto:[email-masked]]
    >> Fleischman,> wrote:
    >>>> Making SNMP work in an unreliable network may not be very
    >>>> useful if things it depends on for security do not work.
    >> Fleischman,> I thoroughly agree. However, is there any reason
    >> why Fleischman,> you (or anyone else) believe that DTLS doesn't
    >> Fleischman,> provide the necessary capabilities to permit
    >> Fleischman,> ISMS-secured SNMP over UDP use?

    >> The SNMP part of the connection will be over UDP.  What about
    >> CRL retrieval?  What about OCSP?  What about DNS lookups for
    Fleischman,> all of the above?

Um, no.  Most of these are not defined for UDP.

These issues are not unique to ISMS.  These issues do influence how
likely it is that UDP makes sense for ISMS.

_______________________________________________
Isms mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isms

---

From: "Fleischman, Eric" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 11:23:48 -0700

From: Sam Hartman [mailto:[email-masked]] 
>Fleischman,> I thoroughly agree. However, is there any reason why
>Fleischman,> you (or anyone else) believe that DTLS doesn't

>The SNMP part of the connection will be over UDP.  
>What about CRL retrieval?  What about OCSP?  What about DNS lookups for
all of the above?

These issues will be handled in PKI environments in accordance with
however that infrastructure has configured their PKI deployment. 

If ISMS SNMP over UDP uses PKI, then I fail to understand why you
believe that there are unique issues which aren't common for other
UDP-based PKI systems. Could you please explain the nature of your
concern (i.e., why do you believe that SNMP is unique among UDP
systems)?