Subject: RE: [Isms] draft of ISMS charter

From: "Nelson, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 10:32:52 -0400

David Harrington writes...

> I made a concrete alternative proposal in my mail of 8/25 5:29

Which was:

>Personally, I think the WG would be smart to solve 1, 2, and 7 first,
>because there are plenty of issues in solving these problems, and we
have >volunteers to research and edit the documents on these issues, and
previous >work has already started addressing these issues (TMSM, RFC
3430, Netconf, >etc.)
>
>Then we could recharter to solve 3 through 6, which is a separate set
of >problems. I have not seen volunteers to research and edit the
documents on >these issues, and the attributes we plan to use haven't
even been accepted >as RADEXT work items yet, AFAIK.

I understand, all too well, the desire to keep focus and to not charter
more that the WG can reliably produce.

OTOH, it seems to me that the WG needs to produce a solution, not just a
few components that are part of a solution.  Structuring the work, in
terms of an order of completion, is probably a good idea.  Chartering
only part of the solution, with the resultant requirement to re-charter
to finish the job, seems like a bad idea.

_______________________________________________
Isms mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isms

---

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 18:38:29 -0400

>>>>> "Nelson," == Nelson, David <[email-masked]> writes:

    Nelson,> OTOH, it seems to me that the WG needs to produce a
    Nelson,> solution, not just a few components that are part of a
    Nelson,> solution.  Structuring the work, in terms of an order of
    Nelson,> completion, is probably a good idea.  Chartering only
    Nelson,> part of the solution, with the resultant requirement to
    Nelson,> re-charter to finish the job, seems like a bad idea.

I agree here as an individual and likely as an AD.  I don't want to
have to recharter in order to solve the problem.

OTOH, the chairs do have flexibility to limit what charter items are
worked on at any point in time.