Subject: [Isms] bidirectional session, call-home, authoritative SNMP Engine

From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 01:18:05 +0200

W.r.t. SNMP and having two methods of operation (if I may say so)

- The normal polling from an NMS like end to a Managed device (agent
  like end).

- The sending of (confirmed) notifications

When we agreed on (converged from SNMPv2u and SNMPv2* into) SNMPv3,
we also agreed that for the first method of operation, the
agent (or managed device) is the "authoritative" engine w.r.t. snmpEngineID
and snmpEngineboots and snmpEngineTime.

For the second mode of Operations, we decided that the other end (the
manager) is the "authoritative" engine for those 3 objects. 

So we (probably, but I do not know enough details of all the security
mechanisms/transports etc being considered) must take those two modes
of operation into account.

It is the sending of (confirmed) notifications which makes it hard for
an agent to go and send a "here I am and I want to be managed" to
some SNMP manager (NMS).

In any event, even with current SNMPv3 and USM, the agent MUST be 
configured (manually as far as I know) to install some initial
security configuration and to ensure it can communicate with
an SNMP manager (for either mode of operation).

Hope this helps in the discussion.

Bert
p.s. Still waiting for Eliot to give a definition of "call home"
and to show what it maps to on current SNMPv3 (if it does at all)
and if possible to also show me the details of its obliqueness
in NetCOnf over Beep.

_______________________________________________
Isms mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isms