Subject: [Isms] #29: do we need reports?

From: "David B Harrington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 18:07:07 -0400

#29: do we need to support reports? For what purpose?

David Harrington
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Isms mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isms

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 14:09:44 -0700

Hi -

> From: "David B Harrington" <[email-masked]>
> To: <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2005 3:07 PM
> Subject: [Isms] #29: do we need reports?
>

> #29: do we need to support reports? For what purpose?
...

Yes.

For example, RFC 3413 section 3.2 requires:

       - If the isAccessAllowed ASI returns a noSuchContext error,
         processing of the management operation is halted, no result PDU
         is generated, the snmpUnknownContexts counter is incremented,
         and control is passed to step (6) below for generation of a
         report message.

and
       - If the context named by the contextName parameter is
         unavailable, processing of the management operation is halted,
         no result PDU is generated, the snmpUnavailableContexts counter
         is incremented, and control is passed to step (6) below for
         generation of a report message.

Randy