Subject: [Isms] #33: does the mib need to be writable?

From: "David B Harrington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 18:10:18 -0400

#33: does the mib need to be writable, so sessions can be
preconfigured, such as for callhome, or would it be populated at
creation time by the underlying instrumentation, and not writable by
SNMP?

David Harrington
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Isms mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isms

---

From: Wes Hardaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 21:05:27 -0700

>>>>> On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 18:10:18 -0400, "David B Harrington" <[email-masked]> said:

David> #33: does the mib need to be writable, so sessions can be
David> preconfigured, such as for callhome, or would it be populated
David> at creation time by the underlying instrumentation, and not
David> writable by SNMP?

>From a SNMP strictness point of view, I'd suspect what you really mean
there is can rows be added and should the rows be read-create.  I
suspect you will want things to be writable, even if creation isn't
allowed, to add support for tearing down of a session regardless of
whether or not the insertion was automatic or manual.

That being said, I don't mind a creatable set of rows if it provides
some benefit.  But I don't think implementations need a MUST for
support...  I'd like the conformance statement to indicate that
row-creation isn't required.
-- 
Wes Hardaker
Sparta, Inc.