Subject: [Isms] I-D ACTION:draft-narayan-isms-sshsm-radius-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 15:50:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: RADIUS Usage for SNMP SSH Security Model
	Author(s)	: K. Narayan, D. Nelson
	Filename	: draft-narayan-isms-sshsm-radius-00.txt
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 2006-6-21
	
   The Secure Shell Security Model (SSHSM) describes a Security Model
   for the Simple Network Management Protocol, using the Secure Shell
   protocol within a Transport Mapping.  This memo describes the usage
   of the Secure Shell Security Model with a RADIUS authentication and
   authorization system.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-narayan-isms-sshsm-radius-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-narayan-isms-sshsm-radius-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-narayan-isms-sshsm-radius-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
_______________________________________________
Isms mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isms

---

From: "David Harrington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 17:52:44 -0400

Hi,

I started to read this draft. Unfortunately, this is not what was
supposed to be written.

The consensus was that we wanted an "authorize-only" RADIUS extension,
to make RADIUS authorization independent of the authentication phase.
The authorize-only should be accessible from the access control
subsystem; the rest of the SNMP engine knows nothing about this RADIUS
support for data access control (e.g. VACM). We explicitly did not
want a RADIUS integration with SSHSM because that would violate the
RFC3411 modularity and its separation of authentication and
authorization. 

1) If an operator wants RADIUS integration with SSH, that happens
outside the SNMP engine. SSHSM and other security models should not
need to know that SSH used RADIUS to authorize a session of SNMP
management.

2) If an operator wants to use RADIUS to determine which VACM group to
use for this user, that is handled strictly within the access control
subsystem, using an authorize-only RADIUS extension, independently of
the authentication provided via a security model, such as USM or SSHSM
or USM/Kerberos. Some operators want to authenticate their users with
Kerberos, but then as a separate step ask RADIUS what data access
control policies to apply to that user.

The interim meeting requirements for an authorize-only RADIUS
extension was recapped in a mail message dated 3/16/06.

dbh

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of 
> [email-masked]
> Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2006 3:50 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Isms] I-D ACTION:draft-narayan-isms-sshsm-radius-00.txt 
> 

> You can also visit 
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
> 	"FILE
/internet-drafts/draft-narayan-isms-sshsm-radius-00.txt".