Subject: [Isms] RFC 5378 issue and ISMS next steps

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 09:53:03 +0100

The WG Chairs have been asked to make their WG aware of this
issue. This is a complicated subject, but the executive summary
is that if you have an Internet-draft that quotes substantially
from one or more older RFCs (ones with a publication date
pre-November 11, 2008), and you did not write this earlier work
yourself (or you wrote it while with another company), you need
to be aware of the likely difficulty of obtaining RFC5378
clearances for your new work, and also to be aware that a
work-around is on the way. The work-around should be in place to
allow submissions to the San Francisco IETF well before the
normal deadlines.  A more detailed summary of the issue can be
found at the URL below. For more information, see the discussion
on the general IETF discussion list.

http://trustee.ietf.org/docs/Background-to-Draft-Update-to-IETF-Trust-Legal-Provisions.txt

With a chair hat on, I am not going to allow a general discussion
about RFC 5378 on this list (as it is off topic). Please take
such comments to the main IETF discussion list. Questions about
specific WG drafts are of course on topic.

Note that this issue with RFC5378 should not stop the WG from
resolving the WG last call issues on the mailing list. David
Harrington is working on the edits and he will post messages
concerning the resolution of the last call issues raised and
where he is not sure what the necessary edits are to resolve
issues.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>
_______________________________________________
Isms mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isms