Subject: CfP: Situated Interaction in Ubiquitous Computing

From: "Albrecht Schmidt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 10:10:17 +0100

(Please apologize, if you receive multiple copies of this CfP)

                       Workshop on
        ‘Situated Interaction in Ubiquitous Computing’
              (http://www.teco.edu/chi2000ws/)
      at CHI 2000, April 3, 2000, The Hague, Netherlands
                 (http://www.acm.org/chi2000)

Workshop Proceedings to be published by Springer as Special Issue
of Journal "Personal Technologies" (http://www.csm.uwe.ac.uk/cpim/PeTe.html)

IMPORTANT DATES

28 January 2000	Extended Abstracts and Position papers must be received
4 February 2000	Notification to authors
3 April 2000	Workshop at CHI2000

OVERVIEW

This workshop will bring together researchers and practitioners who are
concerned with design, development, and implementation of novel interfaces
for mobile devices and environment-based appliances.

The availability of sensing technology provides the opportunity to include
information about the situation of use as well as the surrounding
environment (e.g. location, proximity, physical conditions, social setting,
context, etc.) in human computer interaction. Situated interaction is
especially attractive for mobile devices that are used while on the move
e.g.

- PDAs
- wearable computers
- smart mobile phones,

and for shared appliances in common spaces, e.g.

- city information systems,
- ticket machines,
- self-service check-in counters.

The main goal of the workshop is to develop an understanding of how the
situation of use influences the interaction process.

TOPICS OF INTEREST INCLUDE:

* Adaptation of input and output modalities to the situation of use
* New interaction metaphors that include situation and context
* Design rules and principles for context-aware systems and user interfaces
* Design methodologies for developing situation-aware user interfaces
* User-centered approaches to the design of situation-aware systems and
interfaces
* User models that help predict the behavior of users of situation-aware
systems
* Studies of adaptive and situation-aware user interfaces
* Mechanisms and technologies for extracting, interpreting and using context
information
* Adaptation strategies that help to reduce the need for input or output
* Strategies for choosing interruption time and mode appropriate to the
situation
* Interfaces for mobile devices that make use of information about the
environment and the user's situation
* User interface agents and active user interfaces
* The use of situation and context in CSCW and groupware
* Adaptive interfaces for users with disabilities
* Adaptive multimodal user interfaces

SUBMISSION DETAILS

We encourage submissions from researchers and practitioners in academia,
industry, government, and consulting. Authors are invited to submit an
extended abstract (about 2000 words) describing original work in one or
more of the areas listed above, or a position paper (about one page)
highlighting the authors' interests. Please be specific about the status
of the work and why you believe it should be of interest to the workshop
audience. Submissions should be mailed in PDF or postscript format to
Albrecht Schmidt ([email-masked]) at the University of Karlsruhe by
the end of the day on 28 February 2000.

All submissions will be reviewed and some of the submitters will be invited
to present their ideas at the workshop. Participants will be selected based
on the quality of the work and its likelihood to spur interesting
discussion.
Authors of accepted extended abstracts will be asked to present their work
at
the workshop.

PUBLICATION

The results of this workshop will be published in a special issue of the
Springer Journal ‘Personal Technologies’
(http://www.csm.uwe.ac.uk/cpim/PeTe.html).
Following the workshop all authors of extended abstracts will be invited to
resubmit their abstracts as short papers to be reviewed for inclusion in
this
special issue. The review committee will consist of 10 recognized leaders of
the
HCI community and related fields.

WORKSHOP ORGANIZATION

The workshop will last one full day and will be limited to 20 participants.
Accepted submissions will be made available online prior to the workshop and
will also be distributed during the workshop.
The workshop will consist of two parts. During the first part participants
will
present current research, while the second part is reserved for discussion.
A set of possible discussion topics will be generated in advance from a
questionnaire
that will be sent to each participant prior to the workshop.

WORKSHOP CHAIRS

Albrecht Schmidt, Telecooperation Office (TecO), University of Karlsruhe,
Germany
Walter Van de Velde, Starlab Nv/Sa, Belgium
Gerd Kortuem, Department of Computer Science, University of Oregon, USA

For questions and further information, please contact

Albrecht Schmidt
Telecooperation Office (TecO)
University of Karlsruhe
Vincenz-Priessnitz-Str. 1
76131 Karlsruhe (Germany)

Phone: +49 721 6902-29
Fax: +49 721 966 3418

Email: [email-masked]
Workshop page: http://www.teco.edu/chi2000ws/
CHI2000 page: http://www.acm.org/sigchi/chi2000/