Subject: First Joint Internet2 / Department of Energy QoS Workshop

From: Ben Teitelbaum <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 21:28:37 -0500

---------------------------------------------------------------------
  Reminder: Hotel Room Blocks Released After January 25th, 2000 (Tues)
---------------------------------------------------------------------

      First Joint Internet2 / Department of Energy QoS Workshop
            "QBone: Early Experiences and the Road Ahead"
                                   
               February 9-10, 2000 Texas Medical Center
                            Houston, Texas
                    Sponsored by the Texas GigaPoP
               http://www.internet2.edu/qos/houston2000

---------------------------------------------------------------------
 News:     o Draft program now available (see below)
           o Eighty registered attendees so far!
           o Pre-registration closes January 29th, 2000
           o Affiliation with an Internet2 member, partner,  
             sponsor, or international peer organization required

 Apology:  o Sincere apologies if you are spammed with multiple 
             copies of this mail!
---------------------------------------------------------------------

This workshop will take stock of the progress that the QBone
initiative has made toward realizing Internet2 QoS goals,
characterize the challenges that lay ahead, and increase
understanding of how recent QoS research and standards work might
be leveraged to accelerate the development of production QoS
services throughout Internet2 and the emerging next generation
internet (NGI) infrastructure.

It is expected that there will be strong representation from
campus network planners, advanced applications developers, chief
information officers (CIOs), gigaPoP planners, US federal mission
networks, NGI investigators, and members of the network research
community.

A program committee chaired by John Wroclawski (MIT) is building
the technical program in cooperation with the Internet2 QoS
Working Group. Suggestions for speakers, panels, or BOFs are
encouraged and should be made to the chair.

Program

      DRAFT AGENDA (Version of Jan 22, 2000)
 
      Wednesday February 9th, 2000

      8:00 - 9:00  Registration

      9:00 - 9:30  Keynote Presentation

                   Internet 2 QoS Perspective and Plans
                   Ben Teitelbaum (Internet2)

      9:30 - 10:30 Experimental Network Evaluation Results

                   Requirements for a Bandwidth Broker Supporting
                   High-Performance TCP Flows
                   Volker Sander (Argonne National Laboratory)

                   Experiments with Differentiated Services at
                   iCAIR
                   Brian Carpenter, Dilip Kandlur, Joe Mambretti
                   (IBM and iCAIR)

      10:30 -      Break
      11:00

      11:00 -      Bandwidth Brokers
      12:30
                   The Siemens Bandwidth Broker
                   Rudi Stelzl (Siemens)

                   GARA: A Quality of Service Architecture
                   Alain Roy (The University of Chicago)

                   The Role of BB in traffic engineering
                   Andreas Terzis

      12:30 - 2:00 Lunch

      2:00 - 3:30  Applications

                   TBD

                   TBD

                   TBD

      3:30 - 4:00  Break

      4:00 - 5:30  Experimental Network Evaluation Results II

                   Delay and Delay Variation Measurements in a DS
                   Test Network
                   Tiziana Ferrari

                   The NASA QBed: A Prototype Differentiated
                   Services Network
                   George Uhl (NASA Goddard)

                   ESNET Experiments and Results
                   Joseph Burrescia (Lawrence Berkeley National
                   Laboratory)

                   EMERGE Experiments and Results [working title]

                   Linda Winkler (Argonne National Laboratory)

      Thursday, February 10th, 2000

      8:30 - 9:00  Keynote Presentation

                   A Host Vendor's Perspective on QoS
                   Yoram Bernet (Microsoft)

      9:00 - 10:00 Voice, Video, and Multimedia

                   IP DiffServ Architecture for Providing
                   Voice/Video QoS Guarantees
                   Mario Gerla and Gianluca Reali (UCLA)

                   Objective Estimation of Video and Speech
                   Quality to Support Network QoS Efforts
                   Stephen Voran (Institute for Telecommunication
                   Sciences)

      10:00 -      Break
      10:30

      10:30 -      QoS Signaling and Middleware
      12:00
                   Middleware Adaptive Management and Control for
                   End-to-End QoS
                   Alia Atlas (BBN)

                   Design and Implementation of QoS Enabled OO
                   Middleware
                   Vishal Kachroo,Yamuna Krishnamurthy, Fred
                   Kuhns (WUSTL)

                   Lightweight Signaling [working title]
                   Stewart Fallis (BT Advanced Communications
                   Research)

      12:00 - 1:30 Lunch

      1:30 - 3:30  New Directions

                   How QBone Can Go Wireless
                   Börje Olmann (Ericsson)

                   QoS Services with Dynamic Packet State
                   Ion Stoika (CMU)

                   QoSWG BB Framework Proposal [working title]
                   Philip Chimento (University of Twente)

                   Panel Discussion: "What's Next for the QBone?"

      3:30         Adjourn

Important Dates

      December 22nd, 1999    Talk Proposals Due

      January 18th, 2000     Notification of Acceptance / Agenda
                             Finalized
      January 25th, 2000     Hotel Room Block Released

      February 2nd, 2000     Session Talks Due

      February 9th-10th,
                             Workshop
      2000

Background & Goals

     Since May 1998, the Internet2 project has focused on a
     QoS strategy that builds upon the work of the IETF
     differentiated services architecture (DiffServ) to
     engineer scalable interdomain QoS services in support of
     QoS-needy Internet2 applications. In November 1998, the
     QBone initiative was launched to develop and deploy an
     architecture for exploring the engineering and science
     of new IP network services in the context of an
     interdomain testbed that makes new QoS services
     incrementally available to the developers and users of
     advanced applications. This workshop will take stock of
     the progress that has been made toward realizing the
     QBone, characterize the challenges that lay ahead, and
     understand how recent QoS research and standards work
     might be leveraged to accelerate the development of
     production QoS services throughout Internet2.

     The Internet2 QoS Working Group outlined QoS
     requirements for the project in May 1998 that remain as
     valid today as they were then. Foremost among these are:
     1) relevance towards meeting the needs of advanced
     applications; 2) scalability to high forwarding rates,
     large numbers of QoS-enabled flows, and large numbers of
     hosts/users (administrative scalability); 3)
     interoperability between heterogeneous network clouds
     and between individual network elements from multiple
     vendors. The IETF DiffServ architecture offers a basis
     for meeting these requirements, while leaving many
     design questions for the individual network or user. The
     contribution of the QBone is to explore a design space
     empirically within the Internet2 environment that
     includes such questions as:

        * Which services are most useful to which
          classes of application and can those services
          be provided within the current architectural
          model?
        * Are more sophisticated per-hop behaviors
          (PHBs) or edge conditioning devices required?
        * What are the best techniques and technologies
          for engineering DiffServ
          campus/gigaPoP/backbone networks?
        * What are the obstacles to deploying  new,
          advanced IP QoS services across independently
          administered Internet2 and NGI networks.
        * What is an appropriate signaling model for
          establishing end-to-end interdomain
          reservations? And, is it useful to have more
          than one--for example, to support both
          signaled long-term contracts and signalled
          on-demand spot reservations?
        * How should the network and/or applications be
          instrumented to provide the measurements
          necessary to debug, audit, and analyze the
          performance of new DiffServ services?

     These and other issues are being investigated by network
     planners, engineers, and researchers in the context of
     the QBone initiative and in the IETF. In the first year
     of the QBone, significant progress has been made in many
     areas. In others, however, there remain many hard
     problems.

     It is an explicit goal of this workshop to communicate
     the experiences and insights of those who have been
     directly involved to those who are potential customers
     of QoS technology, researchers and developers working in
     related areas, and network planners, administrators, and
     strategists.

     Specifically, it is hoped that there be strong
     representation from: campus network planners, advanced
     applications developers, chief information officers
     (CIOs), gigaPoP planners, US federal mission networks,
     NGI investigators, and members of the network research
     community. Each of these groups has a distinct and
     valuable perspective to offer.

     Proposals for presentations or panels should be
     submitted to the program committee no later than
     December 22, 1999. Potential topics of interest include:

        * Progress reports on the design and specification
          of:
             o QBone Architecture;
             o QBone Measurement Architecture;
             o QBone Bandwidth Broker Trials;
        * Experience reports from network engineers
          implementing the QBone architecture in different
          environments;
        * Related QoS testbed projects and efforts to assure
          interoperability between them;
        * Experience reports from applications developers and
          users who have begun to evaluate the performance of
          new QBone services in the context of specific
          application needs;
        * Design and development reports from the
          implementors of new QoS network management tools
          (i.e. bandwidth brokers);
        * Surveys of relevant standards activities;
        * Reports on relevant recent networking research;
        * Short "outrageous opinions" statements ;

Program Committee

   * John Wroclawski (MIT, Chair)
   * Yoram Bernet (Microsoft)
   * Scott Bradner (Harvard)
   * Steve Corbato (Univ. of Washington)
   * Bruce Davie (Cisco)
   * Ian Foster (ANL / Univ. of Chicago)
   * Jaron Lanier (Advanced Network & Services)
   * Ben Teitelbaum (Internet2)
   * Linda Winkler (ANL)
   * Hui Zhang (CMU)

Internet2 QoS Working Group

     The Internet2 QoS working group has been actively
     working to advance the state of QoS deployments
     throughout Internet2 since Fall 1997. A complete list of
     membership may be found here: 
     http://www.internet2.edu/qos/wg/members/members.html

Local Arrangements

     A block of local hotel rooms has been reserved.  More 
     information may be found here: 
     http://www.internet2.edu/qos/houston2000/#hotels

Registration

     For planning purposes, pre-registration by January 26th, 2000 is
     strongly encouraged.  To register, please visit:
     http://www.internet2.edu/qos/houston2000/#registration