Subject: Protocol Action: SBM (Subnet Bandwidth Manager): A Protocol for RSVP-based Admission Control over IEEE 802-style networks to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 12:02:14 -0500

The IESG has approved the following Internet-Drafts as Proposed
Standards:

o SBM (Subnet Bandwidth Manager):  A Protocol for RSVP-based Admission
  Control over IEEE 802-style networks
	<draft-ietf-issll-is802-sbm-10.txt>
o Integrated Service Mappings on IEEE 802 Networks 
	<draft-ietf-issll-is802-svc-mapping-04.txt>

In the same action, the IESG also approved publication of A Framework
for Providing Integrated Services Over Shared and Switched IEEE 802 LAN
Technologies <draft-ietf-issll-is802-framework-07.txt> as an
Informational RFC.

These documents are the product of the Integrated Services over
Specific Link Layers Working Group. The IESG contact persons are Scott
Bradner and Vern Paxson.

Technical Summary
 
 These documents define the Subnet Bandwidth Manager (SBM) protocol, a
  set of service mappings to be used with SBM and a framework for providing
  Integrated Services over shared and switched IEEE-802-style LAN
  technologies.

  The SBM (Subnet Bandwidth Manager) protocol provides a method for mapping
  an internet-level setup protocol such as RSVP onto IEEE 802-style networks.
  In particular, it describes the operation of RSVP-enabled hosts/routers and
  link layer devices (switches, bridges) to support reservation of LAN
  resources for RSVP-enabled data flows.

  The service mapping document describes mappings of IETF Integrated Services
  over LANs built from IEEE 802 network segments which may be interconnected
  by IEEE 802.1D MAC Bridges (switches).  It describes parameter mappings for
  supporting Controlled Load and Guaranteed Service using the inherent
  capabilities of relevant IEEE 802 technologies

  The framework document describes a framework for supporting IETF Integrated
  Services on shared and switched LAN infrastructure.  It includes background
  material on the capabilities of IEEE 802 like networks with regard to
  parameters that affect Integrated Services such as access latency, delay
  variation and queuing support in LAN switches.  It discusses aspects of
  IETF's Integrated Services model that cannot easily be accommodated in
  different LAN environments.  It outlines a functional model for supporting
  the Resource Reservation Protocol (RSVP) in such LAN environments.

Working Group Summary

  The working group supported the publication of these documents and no
  issues were raised during IETF Last-Call.

Protocol Quality

  These documents were reviewed for the IESG by Scott Bradner.