Subject: ECOOP 2000: Workshop on QoS in Distributed Systems

From: "John A. Zinky" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 16:14:48 -0500

Workshop on Quality of Service in Distributed Object Systems

In Association with:  14th European Conference on 
                      Object-Oriented Programming 
                      (ECOOP'2000) 
                      Sophia Antipolis and Cannes, France,  June 12-16, 2000

Workshop goal

The suitability of the object model for the modeling and implementation 
of distributed systems has lead to middleware platforms, such as e.g. 
CORBA, DCOM, and Java/RMI. Originally, these middleware systems 
aim at distribution transparency for application programmers. 

However, distributed systems are exposed to system issues, like 
dynamic performance changes or partial errors, that prevent a 
complete distribution transparency. Quality of Service (QoS) 
management addresses these issues. The goal is to add QoS management 
to the interactions between clients and services. 

Support for QoS management in distributed object systems is a hot 
topic of current research which poses a number of open questions: 
How is QoS integrated with the object model that emphasizes encapsulation 
and information hiding? Can one build generic support frameworks for 
multiple QoS categories, in contrast to specialized, single category 
systems, such as TAO, Electra, Eternal, DOORS among others. Can QoS be 
viewed as an aspect in the sense of Aspect Oriented Programming (AOP) or
are other classifications more appropriate? 

This ECOOP-workshop will discuss the open questions and will summarize 
the state of the art in the field. The workshop will stimulate discussions 
about how next generation QoS management facilities can be built into 
object infrastructures. We expect the workshop to attract researchers 
from several groups which have working prototypes for this infrastructure. 
Reports on prototype systems are welcome as well as theoretical aspects, 
modeling techniques, and application scenarios.

Call for papers

Topics include, but are not restricted to 

   - Modeling QoS: suitability of object oriented modeling techniques,
     influences of QoS provision on the object-model, e.g. type systems 
   - Structure and implementation issues: Aspect Oriented Programming, 
     open implementations, and design patterns 
   - Scope of QoS-integration: generic integration, multi-category support, 
     impact on architecture and underlying object-model 
   - Integration of QoS management and network and application 
     management 
   - Experiences and case studies of QoS integration in OO-Middleware platforms 
   - Specialized QoS platforms vs. extending existing platforms 
   - Interoperability issues across QoS platforms 
   - QoS in the WWW 
   - Negotiation of QoS in open distributed systems 
   - Accounting and Pricing of QoS 
   - Ressource Control for QoS management

Submissions

A one page extended abstract describing your research is required.
Selection of contributions is not only based on the quality of the 
submitted research work but also with regard to sessions with a distinct 
focus. Participants will have 15 minutes to present their research.
Submissions in ASCII, Postscript, PDF, or HTML are requested by email to 

[email-masked] 

The accepted abstracts will be distributed to the other participants.  

Important Dates

 Deadline for submissions:
                                 March 24, 2000
 Notification of acceptance:
                                 April 10, 2000
 Workshop:
                                 June 13, 2000

Organizers

Christian Becker, University of Frankfurt, Germany and John Zinky, BBN, USA 
  
Links

http://ecoop2000.unice.fr/Program/Technical/Workshops/w19.html
http://www.vsb.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de/misc/QoSDOS/index.html

--AhhlLboLdkugWU4S--