Subject: [geonet/its] what we discussed

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 11:55:13 -0500

Yesterday evening we discussed about the C-ACC and Platooning use-cases 
at ETSI and other V2V use-cases at other SDOs.

We will update the two drafts with at least the following:
- description of the ETSI ITS C-ACC and Platooning use-cases
- apps used in China similar to irezq and coyote

We will try a stab at charter for V2V communications.

Alex

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 11:24:06 -0500

Le 26/03/2015 18:13, Richard Roy a écrit :
> I assume that by taking a "stab at a charter for V2V
> communications", you mean some MAC&PHY independent "IP
> networking-related aspect of V2V communications". It would be
> important to ensure such independence since there are likely to be
> several candidate media (MAC&PHYs) ultimately involved, including but
> not limited to 5.9GHz, 63GHz, IR, and possibly even 5.4GHz WiFi.

Certainly yes.  I think ISO may consider all these kinds of links and
that only IP can work with each.  We would need to have this aspect
highlighted in a charter proposal.

That said, making run IPv6 over 60-ish GHz links (802.11ad
presumably[*]) would need to be documented in its own IPv6-over-foo
draft.  Because that would be needed in homenets as well, in addition to
vehicular comms.

IP-over-5.4GHz would be IP-over-WiFi, unless the use of 5.4GHz in
vehicular environments, currently debated in America, exposes some
peculiar functionality distinguishing it from WiFi.  Is there any?

IPv6 over LiFi - LiFi is a new link considered in vehicular and office
networks.  Running IP over LiFi would be new, deserves its draft.

IPv6 over IrDA (infrared): this is an old kind of link; years ago it was
treated as IP-over-SLIP or IP-over-PPP and there are RFCs for each.

I have not seen recently IrDA deployed, but experts in this area may
have other vues.  Is there recent IrDA interfaces?  Or other ways to use
infrared?

Alex
[*] Sidenote: the 60-ish GHz radios (not 11ad) are already present in
many vehicles, although they are used only as bouncing signals (radars),
not two-way communications.  IP would typically be applied in two-way
communications; IP with UDLR (uni-directional link routing) is used in
some satellite one-way broadcasting.  Not sure UDLR semantics applies to
this signal bouncing semantics of existing vehicular 60-ish GHz radars.
  Making IPv6 run over bidirectional 60-ish GHz links like 802.11ad would
be a significant step forward for functionality beyond simple bouncing.
  E.g. instead of a car just learning it approaches an obstacle it would
also tell it so, so it would get out of the way.  The ICMP's Echo
Request/Reply (ping) carrying a position value in the payload would also
be highly valuable.

>
> Cheers,
>
> RR
>
>> -----Original Message----- From: Alexandru Petrescu
>> [mailto:[email-masked]] Sent: Thursday, March 26,
>> 2015 9:55 AM To: [email-masked] Subject: [geonet/its] what we
>> discussed
>>
>> Yesterday evening we discussed about the C-ACC and Platooning
>> use-cases at ETSI and other V2V use-cases at other SDOs.
>>
>> We will update the two drafts with at least the following: -
>> description of the ETSI ITS C-ACC and Platooning use-cases - apps
>> used in China similar to irezq and coyote
>>