Subject: [geonet/its] Standards about PKI models for vehicular networks

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 May 2015 13:58:04 +0200

Hi,

What are the standards that treat of PKI models in the particular case
of vehicular networks?

Alex

---

From: Jong-Hyouk Lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 17:45:54 +0900

I am not sure other standard models, but ETSI ITS security groups published related documents and the European CAR 2 CAR Communication Consortium (C2C-CC) also had internal documents. As I am no longer active in them, I do not know the latest status. 

Cheers.
--
Jong-Hyouk Lee, living somewhere between /dev/null and /dev/random
Protocol Engineering Lab., Sangmyung University

#email: [email-masked]
#webpage: https://sites.google.com/site/hurryon

> On May 7, 2015, at 8:58 PM, Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hi,
> 
> _______________________________________________
> its mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/its

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 11:22:41 +0200

As for ETSI ITS there is this document publicly available which 
describes architecture and includes PKI (although not a "PKI model").

ETSI TS 102 940 V1.1.1 (2012-06)
"ITS communications security architecture and
  security management"

Recent ETSI ITS security discussions talk about certificate formats and 
how to sign messages.

ETSI organizes a Security workshop on June 24 and 25 on "Security 
Assurance in ITS" thematic stream:
http://www.etsi.org/news-events/events/870-security-week

Alex

Le 28/05/2015 10:45, Jong-Hyouk Lee a écrit :
> I am not sure other standard models, but ETSI ITS security groups
> published related documents and the European CAR 2 CAR Communication
> Consortium (C2C-CC) also had internal documents. As I am no longer
> active in them, I do not know the latest status.
>
> Cheers. -- Jong-Hyouk Lee, living somewhere between /dev/null and
> /dev/random Protocol Engineering Lab., Sangmyung University
>
> #email: [email-masked] #webpage:
> https://sites.google.com/site/hurryon
>
>> What are the standards that treat of PKI models in the particular
>> case of vehicular networks?
>>
>> Alex
>>
>> _______________________________________________ its mailing list
>> [email-masked] https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/its
>
>
>

---

From: William Whyte <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 07:47:18 -0400

I'm editor of IEEE 1609.2, which specifies some security mechanisms for
use in V2X and which will be used in the US.

Note that there's no particular "PKI model for vehicular networks", at
least not in the US. In the US there are ITS applications which have
security requirements and those requirements are in general met by
application-specific mechanisms, as in the case of V2V safety or tolling,
or by security mechanisms that work over IPv6 such as TLS or IPSec. In the
US we've done a lot of work on making the system somewhat
privacy-preserving, even against insider attacks at the CA, while at the
same time allowing revocation; there's a description of those mechanisms
in William Whyte, André Weimerskirch, Virendra Kumar, and Thorsten Hehn,
“A Security Credential Management System for V2V Communications”, 2013
IEEE Vehicular Networking Conference (VNC 2013), December 16-18, 2013,
Boston, USA, which you can get a copy of at
http://www.cvt-project.ir/Admin/Files/eventAttachments/A%20Security%20Cree
ntial%20Management%20System%20for%20V2V%20Communications%20-%20VNC%20Confe
rence%202013_514.pdf. Those mechanisms are being incorporated in the
current working draft of 1609.2, not yet complete.

The US approach doesn't have multi-hop at the network level, and there are
no security mechanisms below Layer 7 other than IPSec. We've been
considering link-layer encryption for single-hop services but are waiting
for 802 to come up with a fast-setup encryption mechanism.

I may be in Prague and would be happy to discuss in person.

Cheers,

William

-----Original Message-----
From: its [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Alexandru Petrescu
Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2015 5:23 AM
To: Jong-Hyouk Lee
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [geonet/its] Standards about PKI models for vehicular
networks

Alex