Subject: [its] minutes of Yokohama ITS bar bof and other informal meetings

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 11:09:41 +0100

[re-sent]

Hi ITSers,

With Dapeng we met in Yokohama with our IAB advisors.  We discussed
ways forward for an ITS activity at IETF.  Much of the discussion
revolved around the topic of motivating the use of IP protocols for
vehicular communications; different arguments pro and con were made
(about link heterogeneity, latency), while all at the same time tryng
to answer the question of why do the work at IETF.  We briefly
mentioned the kinds of solutions that have been mentioned until now in
this space (MIP, ND, AODV and most recently ICN).  Security mechanisms
are necessary in this context, especially after the recent attacks on
connected cars, reported largely in the media.  A question was made
about which layer of the protocols suffered in these attacks, not
clear whether it was IP or other.

A particular topic was the relationship with SDOs, in particular with
ISO TC204.  The exchanges and actions between IAB Chair and ISO have
accelerated at the IETF meeting.  ISO group meets in December in Tokyo.

Next steps and deadlines were set until February, preceding the BA
meeting.

I met individually with Paul, Charlie, Bastiaan.  With Paul we
discussed way forward about a complementary Problem Statement for V2I
that would (1) use same concepts as in V2V and (2) involve service
discovery such as DNS.  With Charlie with discussed key
characteristics and history of a manet routing protocol that could be
useful in the V2V discussion.  With Bastiaan we discussed ICN and CCN
in the context of V2V.

Alex

---

From: Jong-Hyouk Lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 21:30:48 +0900

Thanks for the minutes, Alex. Regarding recent hacking reports for real vehicles, those are not related to IP yet. For instance, at the Black Hat 2015 USA, the work "Remote Exploitation of an Unaltered Passenger Vehicle" has been presented. The targeted vehicle was "Jeep Cherokee” that uses the CAN bus as a in-vehicle control bus. The demonstrated hacking was breaking the CAN messages, e.g., causing to kill the engine, no breaking, etc.

IP protocols whatever IPv4 or IPv6 are not yet used for in-vehicle, v2v, and v2i, but this does not mean that such hacking will not target to IP protocols. Without securing IP protocols for vehicles, easier hackings that are not required media specific hacking tricks will be available as various hacking tools used for the Internet will be easily used for vehicle hacking.

J.
--
Jong-Hyouk Lee, living somewhere between /dev/null and /dev/random
Protocol Engineering Lab., Sangmyung University

#email: [email-masked]
#webpage: https://sites.google.com/site/hurryon

> On Nov 9, 2015, at 7:09 PM, Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> [re-sent]
> 
> Hi ITSers,
> 
> _______________________________________________
> its mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/its