Subject: [ipwave] Benjamin Kaduk's No Record on draft-ietf-ipwave-ipv6-over-80211ocb-49: (with COMMENT)

From: Benjamin Kaduk via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2019 11:31:42 -0700

Benjamin Kaduk has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-ipwave-ipv6-over-80211ocb-49: No Record

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ipwave-ipv6-over-80211ocb/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Remaining at No Record since I am balloting late, but:

It may be worth noting in the privacy/security considerations that an attacker
may not heed to legal limits for radio power and can use a very sensitive
directional antenna; if the attacker wishes to attack a given exchange they do
not necessarily need to be in close physical proximity.

---

From: Nabil Benamar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2019 06:05:18 +0100

Hi Benjamin,

Definitely true. An attacker may use something outside the permitted
frequency range.

I will update the draft soon.

On Thu, Jul 11, 2019, 19:31 Benjamin Kaduk via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> its mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/its
>

---

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2019 11:47:21 +0200

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ipwave-ipv6-over-80211ocb/

I agree.

Alex

---

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2019 11:50:20 +0200

> Definitely true. An attacker may use something outside the permitted 

I am not correcting anybody.

But I agree with the original point that a highly sophisticated antenna, 
more directinal, more sensitive electonics, may allow attacker to listen 
and write to cars, from a relatively longer distance, without using 
illegal stronger power levels, but still staying with the permitted 
frequency range.

It is a matter of how much effort and wit an attacker can put into it.

Alex

> On Thu, Jul 11, 2019, 19:31 Benjamin Kaduk via Datatracker 
> <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
> 
>     Please refer to
>     https://www.ietf..org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
>     <https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html>
>     https://datatracker..ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ipwave-ipv6-over-80211ocb/
>     <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ipwave-ipv6-over-80211ocb/>
> 
> 
> 
>     [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>