Subject: [ipwave] I-D Action: draft-ietf-ipwave-ipv6-over-80211ocb-51.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2019 06:46:19 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IP Wireless Access in Vehicular Environments WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Basic Support for IPv6 over IEEE Std 802.11 Networks Operating Outside the Context of a Basic Service Set
        Authors         : Nabil Benamar
                          Jerome Haerri
                          Jong-Hyouk Lee
                          Thierry Ernst
	Filename        : draft-ietf-ipwave-ipv6-over-80211ocb-51.txt
	Pages           : 31
	Date            : 2019-07-25

Abstract:
   This document provides methods and settings, for using IPv6 to
   communicate among nodes within range of one another over a single
   IEEE 802.11-OCB link.  Support for these methods and settings require
   minimal changes to existing stacks.  This document also describes
   limitations associated with using these methods.  Optimizations and
   usage of IPv6 over more complex scenarios is not covered in this
   specification and is subject of future work.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ipwave-ipv6-over-80211ocb/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ipwave-ipv6-over-80211ocb-51
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-ipwave-ipv6-over-80211ocb-51

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-ipwave-ipv6-over-80211ocb-51

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2019 16:36:48 +0200

Thanks for the new version!

I have some comments from the earlier versions, so I think it
is time I put them now on the list.

I wonder whether you think addressing these comments are necessary now,
or I can send them later, maybe after some more thought?

Anyways, here are the comments:
> but operates over 802.11-OCB to provide at least P2P (Point to Point)
> connectivity using IPv6 ND and link-local addresses.

802.11-OCB is not a point-to-point link and nobody used it as such.  I
think the writer of this text has a completely different understanding
than me, about what is a point-to-point link.  For me, a point-to-point
link is typically a cellular link, not an 802.11 link.  A more tangible
differentiator is the absence of MAC addresses most of the time.

> The link model is the following: STA --- 802.11-OCB --- STA.  In 
> vehicular networks, STAs can be IP-RSUs and/or IP-OBUs.  All links 
> are assumed to be P2P and multiple links can be on one radio 
> interface.

Nobody assumes the 802.11-OCB to be P2P (point-to-point) links; for my
part, I never linked multiple links on one radio interface.  I do not
understand what the writer of this text meant.

> IPv6 Neighbor Discovery protocol (ND) requires reflexive properties 
> (bidirectional connectivity) which is generally, though not always, 
> the case for P2P OCB links.

I do not understand what is meant by P2P OCB links?

> [Abstract:] Support for these methods and settings require minimal 
> changes to existing stacks.

> [Section 4.2 Frame Format:] The mapping to the 802.11 data service 
> SHOULD use a 'priority' value of 1 (QoS with a 'Background' user 
> priority),

These two paragraphs seem contradictory.  Because making QoS
'Background' priority requires the use of 802.11 QoS Data headers which
are not available in existing stacks.  For my part I did not see stacks
that do QoS Data headers.  SO adding QoS Data headers requires much
changes to existing stacks.

(note: I do like and agree with the way in which 'minimal changes' is
formulated and added for the draft).

(note: I did see QoS Data headers but never seen the stacks that send them).

Alex

Le 25/07/2019 à 15:46, [email-masked] a écrit :
> 
> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
> directories. This draft is a work item of the IP Wireless Access in 
> Vehicular Environments WG of the IETF.
> 
> Title           : Basic Support for IPv6 over IEEE Std 802.11 
> Networks Operating Outside the Context of a Basic Service Set
> Authors : Nabil Benamar Jerome Haerri Jong-Hyouk Lee Thierry Ernst
> Filename : draft-ietf-ipwave-ipv6-over-80211ocb-51.txt Pages : 31
> Date : 2019-07-25
> 
> Abstract: This document provides methods and settings, for using
> IPv6 to communicate among nodes within range of one another over a
> single IEEE 802.11-OCB link.  Support for these methods and settings
> require minimal changes to existing stacks.  This document also
> describes limitations associated with using these methods.
> Optimizations and usage of IPv6 over more complex scenarios is not
> covered in this specification and is subject of future work.
> 
> 
A diff from the previous version is available at:
> Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of 
> submission until the htmlized version and diff are available at 
> tools.ietf.org.
> 
> _______________________________________________ I-D-Announce mailing 
> list [email-masked] 
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce Internet-Draft 
> directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html or 
> ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt
>