Subject: Re: [ipwave] dont use smartphone while driving

From: Abdussalam Baryun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2019 03:41:30 +0200

On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 1:55 PM Alexandre Petrescu <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I post this message as just once, so as to not risk being out of scope, or
> to debate, or whatever.
>
> thanks, it is good reminder,

> I start by acknowledging, at one point I was a big user of driving and
> typing on laptop, filming, all these things at the same time.  One of my
> challenges was to film the highest speed counter at which the IP connection
> was still up.
>
> However, it is not a good thing.  It is a huge risk to drive and do
> something else at the same time, like tapping on a screen or typing on a
> keyboard.  Whatever the excuse, it is not a good reason.
>
the application's good reason is to gain some information from internet
while driving in short times, not good reason if driving while typing by
hands is needed. It is sometimes very important to guide drivers while they
are in high speed/risk or out of control, it always happens in aircraft and
train transportations. Information and communication technology is the key
to saving lives.

> If one absolutely needs to use a keyboard or a tapping screen or talking
> on the phone at the same time as driving, then a very good idea is to get a
> passenger programmer.
>
> If you dont drive, and you are safely fixed in an office for example, but
> someone calls you to discuss something serious about business and other
> important things, and you realize s/he's actually driving, then hang on
> immediately.  Dont bother explaining why and dont present excuses, because
> it takes too long.
>
 if someone driving is followed by a criminal and needs help that is
serious not to close calls, ITS can be a good solution.

> Before calling someone, try to figure out whether s/he's driving.  An app
> featuring a button labelled 'Is s/he driving?' is probably a good idea
> towards making driving safer.
>

I was thinking how can we make drivers interacting with internet while
driving safely, this can be an important service in ipwave system or ITS.

AB

---

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2019 10:27:01 +0200

:-)

Le 03/10/2019 à 03:41, Abdussalam Baryun a écrit :
> 
> On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 1:55 PM Alexandre Petrescu 
> <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>> 
> wrote:
> 
> Hi,
> 
> I post this message as just once, so as to not risk being out of 
> scope, or to debate, or whatever.
> 
> I start by acknowledging, at one point I was a big user of driving 
> and typing on laptop, filming, all these things at the same time.
> One of my challenges was to film the highest speed counter at which
> the IP connection was still up.
> 
> something else at the same time, like tapping on a screen or typing 
> on a keyboard.  Whatever the excuse, it is not a good reason.
> 
> the application's good reason is to gain some information from 
> internet while driving in short times, not good reason if driving 
> while typing by hands is needed.

I agree.  Most drivers are not professionally trained to distribute
attention to additional things while driving.  They are trained to drive
as their driving school taught them to.  Driving schools dont teach to
use these devices like GPS or other screens, while driving.

(and yes, there are some other things that some schools do teach
professionals to do while driving, like some police schools.)

> It is sometimes very important to guide drivers while they are in 
> high speed/risk or out of control, it always happens in aircraft and 
> train transportations. Information and communication technology is 
> the key to saving lives.

I fully agree.

The ICT is key to saving lives in vehicular networks, but it depends to
a large extent on how it is used.

Let me give an example: autonomous car driving, and more recently
autonomous flying taxis, are touted as solutions that eliminate
accidents.  However, since first mentioned several years ago, the
accidents caused by autonomous driving experiments have only added up to
the accidents of non-autonomous driving (normal) cars.  So, they have
not eliminated, they actually augmented them.

There are things to do to improve the path this AD is taking towards
saving lives on the road.

> If one absolutely needs to use a keyboard or a tapping screen or 
> talking on the phone at the same time as driving, then a very good 
> idea is to get a passenger programmer.
> 
> If you dont drive, and you are safely fixed in an office for
> example, but someone calls you to discuss something serious about
> business and other important things, and you realize s/he's actually
> driving, then hang on immediately.  Dont bother explaining why and
> dont present excuses, because it takes too long.
> 
> Before calling someone, try to figure out whether s/he's driving. An 
> app featuring a button labelled 'Is s/he driving?' is probably a good
> idea towards making driving safer.
> 
> 
> I was thinking how can we make drivers interacting with internet 
> while driving safely, this can be an important service in ipwave 
> system or ITS.

I do not know what more precisely you refer to by interacting with
Internet.  Interacting with Internet like typing Tweets or consulting
facebook page should not be done while driving.  (btw, it should not be
done while walking either, or while crossing the street as a pedestrian.
  It is written in the devices' manuals security sections, that probably
nobody reads.  Notice how people err from a straight walking line while
talking on the mobile).  Interacting with Internet by way of tapping a
screen is a factor that does very little to promote the use of Internet
in the car.  It does the contrary: it reduces the trust and enhances the
risk of accident.

But maybe by interacting with Internet you mean computers using data
to/from Internet.

In that case I agree with you.  There are some questions about how the
human interacts with the (flying) vehicle and its communication
technologies.

There are very many tools to interact with the vehicle and that
contribute positively to safety.  There is gesture recognition by
cameras, levers on wheel, sound and voice, remote control, and many
more.  It includes things as simple as buttons having a confirming
action in return.  They are known to be much less demanding of driver's
attention.

It is these tools that need to take advantage of data arriving from
Internet, and certainly not the smartphone.  That will be positive
impact on the use of Internet by driver.  The smartphone must sit in the
pocket or glove box, certainly not attached on the dashboard as
projectile during a shock.

Even the larger screens builtin Teslas and other recent Renaults may
constitute risks.  The bigger and more attractive they are, the better
they sell the car.  But also the more attention they request from
drivers, for little important things, and the more important accident risk.

How much trust would the driver put in the data displayed on a screen?

Is the data on the screen corresponding to reality data, or is it delayed?

Is the data on the screeen more valid than data displayed on
outside-of-the-car screens?

If the inside GPS tells to turn 'immediately' but the outside traffic
light is Red, what should the driver do?  If I provoke an accident can I
put the fault on the GPS?  The GPS told me to do so! :-)

If the Cloud advises a certain speed (Green Light Speed Advice - GLOSA)
  - is it guaranteed to work, immediately verifiable? or is the advice
rendered worthless at the arbitrary push of a button by a pedestrian
requesting priority?

When designing use-cases with such things in mind, and with Internet
communication principles like end-to-end, then one can come up with new
needs on the communication for ipwave and ITS.

Designing with smartphones in mind is a non starter, if I can say so.

(unless the smartphone is used by co-pilot passenger)

Alex

> AB
> 
> _______________________________________________ its mailing list 
> [email-masked] https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/its
>