Subject: Re: [ipwave] 5G deployment status

From: Andre Puschmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2019 11:18:56 +0200

Hi all,

I've been pointed to this conversation from a colleague of mine and I
wanted to use the opportunity, since you've already started a discussion
around srsLTE, to let you know that we're actively working on C-V2X
support for srsUE. This effort will allow for a software-only
implementation of a PC5-capable UE for experimentation and prototyping,
as well as for a flexible and modifiable platform for more serious
use-cases.

Feel free to get in touch if you want to learn more about it.

Thanks
Andre

-- 
Andre Puschmann

Software Radio Systems (SRS)
http://www.softwareradiosystems.com

PGP/GnuPG key: 6C42AB31
fingerprint: 137A AE49 785B A445 257C 8AD7 D877 A498 6C42 AB31

---

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2019 17:04:21 +0200

> Feel free to get in touch if you want to learn more about it.

Hi Andre,

Thank you for the reply.

I would like to ask you many things, but first things first:

- C-V2X support in srsUE would be V2X messages sent on IP?  Or would it 
be V2X messages put straight on link-layer (without IP headers)?

I am asking because we wrote here application-layer software that sends 
CAM messages on IP on LTE, and we call that 'LTE-V2X'.  Also I am making 
this question because I do not know whether 3GPP Release 16 puts CAM 
messages directly on link-layer, or puts them on IP.

Yours,

Alex

---

From: Andre Puschmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 11:23:28 +0200

Hi,

> be V2X messages put straight on link-layer (without IP headers)?

PDCP, being the highest of the 3GPP layers, allows to carry IP and
non-IP traffic.

We are radio people ourselves so no big exports in ITS stacks. IMHO, the
the GeoNetworking is always nonIP.

Best
Andre

---

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 12:00:25 +0200

Hi,

> PDCP, being the highest of the 3GPP layers, allows to carry IP and

Noted.

> the GeoNetworking is always nonIP.

I agree GeoNetworking is always nonIP, because ETSI never carries 
GeoNetworking over IP (but ETSI does carry IP over GeoNetworking).  At 
the same time, let me try to remind, if I recollect correctly, that the 
3GPP specs do not use ETSI GeoNetworking, even if PDCP could carry them, 
and even if 3GPP specs use CAM messages.

By 'V2X' I meant CAM messages without GeoNetworking headers, nor BTP 
headers.  CAM messages have a certain syntax (available publicly) that 
does not depend on the use of GeoNetworking or BTP headers.  It is 
possible - and people actually do - to send CAM messages without 
GeoNetworking headers nor BTP headers.

So, I am asking you whether srsUE would send CAM messages like which of 
the options below?

CAM               CAM           CAM
---               ---           ---
BTP               IP            PDCP
---               ---           ---
GeoNetworking     PDCP          OFDM
---               ---
PDCP              OFDM
---
OFDM

Alex

---

From: Andre Puschmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 12:20:37 +0200

Hi,

> So, I am asking you whether srsUE would send CAM messages like which of

srsUE will be able to carry all of the defined/supported formats. Have a
look at the PDCP specs for more details.

Best
Andre

---

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 12:58:28 +0200

> look at the PDCP specs for more details.

I will look at the PDCP specs for details.

Do  you know  whether

CAM
---
IP
--
PDCP
----

is a supported format?

Alex