Subject: Re: [iucg] FW: Affirmation of the Modern Global Standards Paradigm

From: JFC Morfin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 19:25:53 +0200

After discussions in various capacities, I think I can now report 
today, by August 24 as requested, a rough consensus observation that 
the most preeminent objections to the IAB/IESG Chair's "Affirmation 
of the Modern Global Standards Paradigm" joint document are:

1. not to use a rough consensus oriented procedure to contradict RFC 
3869 and RFC 3935.

2. the "market driven" concept. I do not really know what the authors 
truly mean there, but readers from different cultures understand 
"market" in the way that it is documented by Wikipedia, i.e.: "A 
market is one of many varieties of systems, institutions, procedures, 
social relations and infrastructures whereby parties engage in 
exchange. While parties may exchange goods and services by barter, 
most markets rely on sellers offering their goods or services 
(including labor) in exchange for money from buyers. It can be said 
that a market is the process by which the prices of goods and 
services are established. For a market to be competitive there must 
be more than a single buyer or seller.".

As such this is something they want to protect their internet from, 
calling on their national Justice courts if needed.

However, it has been observed that Americans might use "market" 
instead of "installed base", as in the kind of BIND or Apache 
programs. In the first case, it might also have been some sort of 
confusion with the paid support provided by ISC ("We detain 80% of 
the DNS market").

3. The concern that technology could be officially used to encourage 
brand name based communities, opposing networking neutrality and 
innovation, and to balkanize the applications area what by essence 
IUsers would oppose.

There is a real demand for a clarification appeal procedure to be 
carried, during the Doha preparation and period, should this document 
be signed as is, without RFC 3869 having been made obsolete and the 
notion of a "better Internet" in RFC 3935 having been made clearer.

On the other hand, there is also a real demand for a consensual text 
to be signed by the emerging IUTF if ethically possible (we do not to 
go by rough consensus but by multiconsensus, so "broad" consensus 
would be acceptable to us).

We have maintained at 
http://iutf.org/wiki/Modern_Global_Standards_Paradigm a complete 
neutral file on the issue to help the debate among the IUse community 
(http://iutf.org/wiki/IUse_community).

jfc