Subject: [iucg] IUSG statement

From: jefsey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 19:38:16 +0200

The IUSG released the following statement 
(http://iusg.org/wiki/20120813_-_Statement_proposing_an_open_IETF/WG/RFC3869bis):

August 13, 2012 : Suggestion of an Open IETF/WG/RFC3869bis

In reference to the "Modern Global Standards Paradigm" document 
proposed by the IETF and IAB Chairs to the endorsement of other SDOs.

This matter is a matter of trust in the IETF (as well as in the whole 
US organized I* structural set: ICANN, IANA, GAC) and how to 
restore/maintain confidence.

As IUsers (Members of the IUse community interested in an intelligent 
use of the whole digital ecosystem), FLOSS developers, end-users, 
governments, and operators, we are accustomed to trusting the ITU in 
its plug to plug basic interconnection services area. We are not 
accustomed yet to trusting the "I*" structural set in its end to end 
value-added interoperations service area.
    * This is for the very reasons that the IAB started to 
pertinently document but with no effective result in 
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3869>RFC 3869.
    * This is because the IETF did not want to participate in the 
WSIS consensus.
    * This is because the IETF considered us in the way that they 
think the ITU considers them.
    * This is due to our patient and friendly (sometimes tough) 
experience of the ICANN, ISOC, IETF, IANA, and GAC attitude and culture.

We want this to be corrected, the IETF to relax, and everyone to 
obtain clearer documentation of the UDP/TCP/SCTP strata, to ensure 
that the Internet technology and its R&D are not under direct or 
indirect commercial influence and its governance is not solely 
conducted by the USG. This is also the case because some of us and 
commercial interests as well are engaged in exploring, testing, and 
documenting, in coordination with the IETF, the fringe to fringe 
extended services "Internet+" area, and its non-ITU/IETF documented 
layers. We need credibility, stability, and homogeneity and simple 
interfaces in the Internet area as all of us currently have from the 
ITU. Please understand that in this Internet+ endeavor we do not want 
to obey the ITU and IETF more than you want to obey the ITU and our 
emerging IUTF. However, we need non blocking clarity, transparency, 
and predictability.

Our suggestion is, instead of unilaterally promoting a 
standardization BCP in pure American IETF language along a non IETF 
documented process, to propose an 
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3869>RFC 3869bis open working group 
with people from all the concerned SDOs, the ITU to begin with, in 
order to reflect a standardization world ethitechnical (ethic of 
technical standardization) consensus on the way, not to best sign 
clients or deliver to subscribers, but to intelligently serve us, the users.

To contribute to this effort, we have engaged ourselves in a 
reflection on the matter at 
<http://iutf.org/wiki/Modern_Global_Standards_Paradigm>http://iutf.org/wiki/Modern_Global_Standards_Paradigm. 
We will see how it develops. Should a WG/RFC3869Bis be created, IUSG 
would certainly participate.