Subject: [Jmap] Mirja Kühlewind's Discuss on draft-ietf-jmap-core-14: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

From: Mirja Kühlewind <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2019 05:24:42 -0800

Mirja Kühlewind has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-jmap-core-14: Discuss

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-jmap-core/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSS:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, I earlier forgot one point I would like to quickly discuss:

The jmap service name registration only requests registration for tcp while H/3
could be used as well which will work over udp. Maybe it would be more
future-proof to also add an entry for udp?

Further, there is a note that says that this registration will change an
existing entry. Please note that for removing the existing entry, IANA might
still need to contact the original assignee to ask for approval. However, this
is just a processing issue and shouldn't lead to a real problem.

And finally a comment related to my above note about H/3, the document talks
two times about "keeping the TCP connection open". To be future proof, I would
maybe recommend to change the wording to "keeping the transport connection
open".

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for addressing the TSV-ART comments (and thanks to Allison for the review)!

One question regarding sec 9.4.1.:
How long should IANA wait for comments before the registration is performed?

---

From: Rob N ★ <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2019 15:31:27 -0500

> is just a processing issue and shouldn't lead to a real problem.

I was the original assignee (on behalf of FastMail). IANA already contacted me and I approved the change.

Cheers,
Rob N.

---

From: "Mirja Kuehlewind (IETF)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2019 10:41:54 +0100

Great! Thanks!

> Am 21.02.2019 um 21:31 schrieb Rob N ★ <[email-masked]>:
>

---

From: "Neil Jenkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2019 00:13:02 -0500

> future-proof to also add an entry for udp?

Given the DNS query just resolves to a URL, it's simpler and less error-prone to have a single registration. When connecting to this URL the client/server may negotiate to upgrade from HTTP over TCP to H/3, but I don't think it's relevant knowledge at the point of just trying to discover the JMAP server location for a domain.

> maybe recommend to change the wording to "keeping the transport connection

Sure, I'll update this.

Cheers,
Neil.