Subject: [Jmap] Protocol Action: 'JSON Meta Application Protocol' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-jmap-core-17.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2019 10:02:31 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'JSON Meta Application Protocol'
  (draft-ietf-jmap-core-17.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the JSON Mail Access Protocol Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adam Roach, Alexey Melnikov and Ben Campbell.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-jmap-core/

Technical Summary

   JMAP-Core specifies a protocol for clients to access JSON-based
   data objects efficiently, with support for push and out-of-band
   binary data upload/download.

   This document was produced in conjunction with
   draft-ietf-jmap-mail, which is the first specific set of
   objects and access methods built upon the described mechanisms.

Working Group Summary

  The initial proposal included an authentication method which was
  removed based on feedback from the HTTP and security groups that
  it would be controversial, instead JMAP-core just allows for an
  authentication layer to be present and restricts itself to the
  object transport over that layer.

  The object naming and other parts of core underwent significant
  revision based on feedback from the group, and it's been in
  roughly the same shape with consensus for the last 6 months as
  small consistency fixes were made and feedback from real world
  implementation was gathered.

Document Quality

  The only known implementations of the latest protocol have been
  done by FastMail staff, but there exist multiple implementations
  of earlier drafts, and their authors have read the current
  drafts - they're just waiting until publication to update to the
  latest version.  Both client and server implementations are
  available as open-source.

  The JMAP working group is small, but there have been multiple
  people who have read the document carefully - Chris Newman who
  is now listed as an author gave particularly detailed reviews.

  The authors of the various parts of the FastMail stack that are
  now implemented on this spec, and of the two test suites covering
  the spec, have also found multiple issues in the last 6 months
  which have fed back into the final document.

  Multiple email server vendors have indicated their intention to
  either add JMAP to their existing servers, or to build new
  services on top of the JMAP data model.

Personnel

  The Document Shepherd is Bron Gondwana and the Responsible
  Area Director is Alexey Melnikov.