Subject: [Jmap] I-D Action: draft-ietf-jmap-jscontact-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 07:34:53 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the JSON Mail Access Protocol WG of the IETF.

        Title           : JSContact: A JSON representation of contact data
        Authors         : Robert Stepanek
                          Mario Loffredo
	Filename        : draft-ietf-jmap-jscontact-02.txt
	Pages           : 17
	Date            : 2020-06-15

Abstract:
   This specification defines a data model and JSON representation of
   contact card information that can be used for data storage and
   exchange in address book or directory applications.  It aims to be an
   alternative to the vCard data format and to be unambiguous,
   extendable and simple to process.  In contrast to the JSON-based
   jCard format, it is not a direct mapping from the vCard data model
   and expands semantics where appropriate.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-jmap-jscontact/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-jmap-jscontact-02
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-jmap-jscontact-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-jmap-jscontact-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2020 12:53:59 +0200

I’m trying to understand this draft, with a view to creating a CDDL description that should aid in understanding the English language definition of the structure.  I’m getting stuck at places like 2.1.5, which is inscrutable.  What is a Relation object?  What is a relation type?  Of course, I can guess from the various clues, but it would be better if that weren’t necessary.

Is there a collection of examples that could be used to disambiguate the text?  That might help in creating the CDDL (which, really, should be a one-hour effort, without all the guesswork).
Possible positive side effects would include in turn validating that set of examples, and making sure terms like vendor-specific have a well-defined meaning.

I planned to briefly join the interim meeting today, but I can't, so here’s my plea for help on the mailing list.

Grüße, Carsten

> On 2020-06-15, at 16:34, [email-masked] wrote:
> 
>

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2020 09:14:25 +0200

On 2020-06-17, at 12:53, Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Is there a collection of examples that could be used to disambiguate the text?

(Apologies for the uncoordinated request…)

Is there really no such collection?

Grüße, Carsten