Subject: [Jmap] I-D Action: draft-ietf-jmap-mdn-11.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2020 08:31:10 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the JSON Mail Access Protocol WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Handling Message Disposition Notification with JMAP
        Author          : Raphaël Ouazana
	Filename        : draft-ietf-jmap-mdn-11.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2020-06-22

Abstract:
   JMAP ([RFC8620] - JSON Meta Application Protocol) is a generic
   protocol for synchronising data, such as mail, calendars or contacts,
   between a client and a server.  It is optimised for mobile and web
   environments, and aims to provide a consistent interface to different
   data types.

   JMAP for Mail ([RFC8621] - The JSON Meta Application Protocol (JMAP)
   for Mail) specifies a data model for synchronising email data with a
   server using JMAP.  Clients can use this to efficiently search,
   access, organise, and send messages.

   MDN are defined in [RFC8098] and are used as "read receipts",
   "acknowledgements", or "receipt notifications".

   MDN have a specific format that must be parsed or generated.  The
   goal of this document is to specify a data model for handling MDN
   messages with a server using JMAP.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-jmap-mdn/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-jmap-mdn-11
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-jmap-mdn-11

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-jmap-mdn-11

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: "Bron Gondwana" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2020 15:28:34 +1000

Hi Raphael,

This looks fantastic! Thanks so much for revising it so quickly.

I have only a couple of tiny comments.

*2.1.  MDN/send*

   o  onSuccessUpdateEmail: "Id[PatchObject]|null" A map of creation id
      to an object containing properties to update on the Email object
      referenced by the "MDN/send" if the sending succeeds.

This shouldn't be "creation id" it should just be "id", as seen later in the example where it's prefixed with a '#' making it a back reference to the ID created by the send. This is a little weird because MDN/send doesn't create an object, but it does need to create some kind of at least session-length ID in order for the lookup in the Email/set to work.

So I would just remove the word "creation" from this and say "A map of id to an object ...". Maybe add text: "this will always be a backreference to the creation id (see example below)".

*3.1.  Sending an MDN for a received email*

The example still shows the Email/set response including the keywords update, which it should not. It should just be:

     [ "Email/set", {
       "accountId": "ue150411c",
       "oldState": "23",
       "newState": "42",
       "updated": {
         "Md45b47b4877521042cec0938": {}
       }
     }, "0" ]]

Cheers,

Bron.

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020, at 01:31, [email-masked] wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Jmap mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/jmap
> 

--
 Bron Gondwana, CEO, Fastmail Pty Ltd
 [email-masked]