Subject: [kitten] OID DER for OPENID20/SAML20

From: Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2012 16:49:45 +0200

Maybe this ought to have been in the specs since most people appear to
compute them by hand, but it isn't.  So the DER encoding of the OPENID20
OID that I'm using is:

gss_OID_desc GSS_OPENID20_static = {
  6, (void *) "\x2b\x06\x01\x05\x05\x10"
};

and for SAML20 it is:

gss_OID_desc GSS_SAML20_static = {
  6, (void *) "\x2b\x06\x01\x05\x05\x11"
};

If I prepend \x06 (tag for OID) and \x06 (length 06) I can DER decode
the OIDs using e.g. 'dumpasn1' and it looks right.

However, it would be good if someone else confirmed this independently
(or at least as independently as can be hoped for since I have now
posted my guess).

/Simon

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2012 17:55:16 +0100

On 04/04/2012 15:49, Simon Josefsson wrote:
> compute them by hand, but it isn't.
IMHO, this would be a fine addition to the specs.
> So the DER encoding of the OPENID20
> OID that I'm using is:
>

---

From: Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2012 19:26:12 +0200

> IMHO, this would be a fine addition to the specs.

I agree.  We still have an opportunity to add it in AUTH48, how about
this for SAML20:

OLD:
   The GSS-API mechanism OID for SAML is 1.3.6.1.5.5.17 (see Section 7.2
   for more information).
NEW:
   The GSS-API mechanism OID for SAML is 1.3.6.1.5.5.17 (see Section 7.2
   for more information).  The DER encoding of the OID is 0x2b 0x06 0x01
   0x05 0x05 0x11.

I'd feel more comfortable about this if someone could confirm the DER
encoding though.

/Simon

---

From: Jim Basney <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 13:13:17 -0500

> I'd feel more comfortable about this if someone could confirm the DER

It matches what I get using the Perl Convert::BER module.

-Jim

---

From: Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2012 07:47:58 +0200

> It matches what I get using the Perl Convert::BER module.

Thank you.  I'll send the above to the RFC editor.

/Simon