Subject: Re: [kitten] I-D Action: draft-ietf-kitten-sasl-saml-ec-01.txt

From: Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2012 16:54:11 +0200

"Cantor, Scott" <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 2/28/12 7:31 PM, "Nico Williams" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>>The GSS-API does not permit empty tokens.  I'm not sure if an initial
>>context token that is empty but for the pseudo-ASN.1 header is OK.
>>However, I think the right thing to do is to add one constant byte to
>>this one token.
>
> I copied that text from the other SAML mechanism (though I don't see it
> there literally anymore), and Simon ok'd it, so I would assume that it is
> ok to omit the constant byte. If not, I'll specify something in the next
> draft.

I think leaving out it should work.  Adding a dummy character is fine
too.  It doesn't matter.

> Also, I'm not sure that OID is "official". In fact, I would guess it's
> not. The SAML mech currently says in draft-09 that the mech OID is TBD, so
> I would imagine this one is too. I can't honestly even say where it came
> from.

The OID is from my tree.  We probably should use IANA's SMI OID number
tree instead.

/Simon

---

From: "Cantor, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 14:57:22 +0000

> The OID is from my tree.  We probably should use IANA's SMI OID number

Thanks, I was about to follow up and ask what I should do. Do I need to apply for an OID in some way?

I should have a proposal hopefully soon on a SAML name type and I can update the draft with the correct OID at that point.

-- Scott

---

From: Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2012 19:12:11 +0200

> to apply for an OID in some way?

IANA will allocate it for us, I have updated the document with new
instructions:

https://gitorious.org/ietf-saml20ec/ietf-saml20ec/commit/1c5ae6c41098e29f7749800a2c08f85e4afa1731/diffs/c22af59c283f50a1a2c5ef8df6eff65f4b309b82

For test purposes, it is fine to use 1.3.6.1.4.1.11591.4.6 meanwhile.

The registry is here (search for "SMI Security for Mechanism Codes"):

https://www.iana.org/assignments/smi-numbers

/Simon

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2012 11:47:40 +0100

> I should have a proposal hopefully soon on a SAML name type and I can update the draft with the correct OID at that point.
We can ask IANA for an early allocation of the relevant OID. But the 
best would be just to use TBD in the document and let IANA allocate one 
upon document approval by IESG.